topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Alternatives to Daemon Tools?  (Read 22520 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Alternatives to Daemon Tools?
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2010, 02:49 PM »
I have tried every virtual disc program available & there are only two products in this category of software worth using, IMHO. Those two are Daemon Tools and MagicDisc. Every other virtual disc program leaves out support for half of the disc image formats that exist.
I only have one nag about MagicDisc: it doesn't reset current working directory, even when you unmount an ISO file. This means you have to mount a new .iso (or shut down the tray icon app) if you want to delete the folder you have recently mounted an ISO from.
- carpe noctem

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2010, 11:08 PM »
I only have one nag about MagicDisc: it doesn't reset current working directory, even when you unmount an ISO file. This means you have to mount a new .iso (or shut down the tray icon app) if you want to delete the folder you have recently mounted an ISO from.

Agreed. It was one of the few things that put me off of using the program regularly, but considering all the functionality that you get for free for a lot of people this one bug might be worth putting up with in order to enjoy all the functionality.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2010, 01:33 AM »

Agreed. It was one of the few things that put me off of using the program regularly, but considering all the functionality that you get for free for a lot of people this one bug might be worth putting up with in order to enjoy all the functionality.
Somebody should really write them a mail and ask whether this could be fixed - it's a single line of code that would have to be inserted on unmount. That, or fire up a disassembler and fix it :P
- carpe noctem

argv

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 03:58 AM »
That, or fire up a disassembler and fix it :P

That might offend the license terms :)
I have tried several tools, but I always fall back to Alcohol 120% (lifetime free upgrade license)

twinkler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • technophobic technophile
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 02:06 PM »
FWIW, a portable solution is Microsoft's Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel. It's old & clunky, and only supports a few formats, but I've used it several times and it works.

I found this to be a good guide to using it, and it includes the download link.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 02:06 PM »
FWIW, a portable solution is Microsoft's Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel. It's old & clunky, and only supports a few formats, but I've used it several times and it works.

Unfortunately, another drawback is that it doesn't work on 64 bit systems...

I don't know why MS doesn't have this baked into the OS by now (though maybe it does and I don't know about it since I'm still on WinXP).