topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Backup Program: Completely Removes Files in Restore Point Before Restoring?  (Read 4748 times)

Lefax32

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am looking for a program that will backup folder/files (eg Firefox Profiles). Then when I choose to Restore my backup (to the same location it was backed up from), it will remove (delete) all files that currently exist in the location they will be restored to before restoring.

I can not find a backup/restore program that actually removes all files/folder in the location the backup is to be restored to. There are only options to either replace any files that match or keep current files as well as restored files. But neither of these actually remove any newly created files with different names that do not exist in my backup.

I have been testing all the Backup Programs I can get my hands on. So far none of them do this that I can work out. I have these programs installed on my pc right now:

PC Backup Pro
Cyberlink PowerBackup
Backup4All Professional 4
KLS Backup 2009
Eazy Backup
Acronis True Image Home
NikSaver
Genie Backup Manager Home 8.0
Reflect
Novosoft Office Backup

I guess I restore differently to the norm. But I prefer to actually remove any files/folders in the restore location before restoring my backup.

Does anybody know if there is a backup/restore program that will do this?

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I am looking for a program that will backup folder/files (eg Firefox Profiles). Then when I choose to Restore my backup (to the same location it was backed up from), it will remove (delete) all files that currently exist in the location they will be restored to before restoring.

I can not find a backup/restore program that actually removes all files/folder in the location the backup is to be restored to. There are only options to either replace any files that match or keep current files as well as restored files. But neither of these actually remove any newly created files with different names that do not exist in my backup.

I have been testing all the Backup Programs I can get my hands on. So far none of them do this that I can work out. I have these programs installed on my pc right now:
Novosoft Office Backup

I guess I restore differently to the norm. But I prefer to actually remove any files/folders in the restore location before restoring my backup.

Does anybody know if there is a backup/restore program that will do this?

Are you sure about HandyBackup from Novosoft : when I create a restore task, I see at the end of the task creation an option to erase files from the source folder, those that are not in the backup, which yields to the same result as you wish I think.
.merle1.

Lefax32

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not sure, I may have overlooked that option as I was trying so many. Thanks for the tip though, I'll have another look at it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If that program doesn't automate it, a work-around may be to mount a Macrium partition image backup file, delete the target folder, or all its contents, then just copy into it from the mounted image.  The mounted image lets you go into it with Explorer and copy files out(it's mounted as a read-only virtual disk.)  If the backed up folder has zillions of files you may need to use a program like RichCopy to copy the files from the image.  Thousands of files and Explorer will spend hours calculating how many files it's going to copy once it gets around to it.  RichCopy is a command line copy program with a Gui front end.  It's a freebie written by an MS employee.  Google should find it.

RichCopy will start the copy process right away.  No lag while calculating totals.  (I copied a Windows.old folder over the network to my backup USB external drive... over 200,000 files and folders without a hiccup.)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 05:11 PM by MilesAhead »

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think Super Flexible will do this

Lefax32

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks guys, will look into your suggestions as well.  8)