topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 4:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anyone taken the plunge and upgraded to any of the latest Nuance offerings?  (Read 9522 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Title says it all... Nuance has new versions of PDF Converter, OmniPage and PaperPort out and is offering some big discounts on upgrades/new purchases. I'm not interested in upgrading PaperPort 11 or OmniPage 16, but there is functionality in PDF Converter Professional 6 that I crave. However, Nuance has a rocky release history and PDF Converter Professional 5 is rock solid on my Windows 7 system. Just wondering if anyone has tried any of the new releases out yet...

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PDF Converter Professional 6

Physical shipment $99.99   
Download $99.99   
Software upgrade $99.99
-Nuance

"upgrade": full price??
 :o

I assume the offer you have received is quite different.

Oh, and ehh.. sorry, No, I have not tried this expensive piece of toy tool!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You're right, Curt. I've been offered a better deal than that. It's good through the end of November, so no hurry... Interesting that the "official" upgrade price is the same as a new license. Not good...

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Darwin

I upgraded to PDF6 Pro since last 2 months and IMHO it saves to doc files much better than older versions.
But still unable edit pdfs made from jpg files - is it essential to have Omnipage full version also  installed ?

I am looking for special upgrade offer for paperport 12 Pro as I have not got any offer from Nuance.

See yr PM - thanks

SKA

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi SKA,

In PDF 4 and 5 Pro, in order to edit a PDF made from jpg or any other image file, you first need to go to the toolbar and click on "Convert PDF". You'll get a drop down list that includes "Searchable PDF" (second to last choice). Select this and PDF Pro's built in OCR goes to work. When it's done (and it can take a long time if you're converting a really big PDF) you'll be prompted to save the output under a new file name. I'd do this as there are some PDFs that this doesn't work on - mostly, I've found, if the pictures have been rotated during PDF creation. You can get everything back to normal... eventually! If you experiment. This is one of the reasons I'm interested in version 6 because you can apparently do this to pages or even to blocks of text. In PDF 5 Pro and earlier, you have to perform the conversion on the entire document - selecting a single page out of 100 would allow me to find the right orientation for the image much more quickly.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PS Just upgraded to PDF Pro 6. Looks good. Here's how to convert to a searchable PDF (from an image derived PDF):

PDF Converter 6.png

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Darwin

THANKS ! By "searchable pdf" I thought it meant indexing of some sort - I'd never have guessed it could be a way to OCR'ing an image pdf. You really do know your softwares well !

Regards
SKA
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:08 AM by SKA »

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Darwin

May I ask: If PDFPro6 has built-in OCR what's the point of using Omnipage 17 ?

I have v17 but never installed it as Paperport and PDF Pro 6 seemed enough for me.

Is it worth to install Omnipage - does it add anything to PDFPro 6 ?

As you're a Nuance expert, any thoughts, please ?

SKA

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Heh, heh, I'm no Nuance expert  ;D But I'll say this - I have OmniPage 16 Pro and have used it perhaps a handful of times in three years. I don't really even use PaperPort, beyond its fantastic SET tools to clean up scanned images. Having said that, OmniPage would be handy if you're not interested in scanning to PDF but want an editable document. Of course, you can do this with PDF Converter 6 now as it supports scanning directly to it...

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Darwin - thanks !

I use Paperport's SET tools daily (I find Irfanview more difficult) and PDFPro 6 as well.

If Omnipage 17 is better to get edidtable docs than PDFPro 6 its certainly worthwile- must try it after I get Win 7 installed.

SKA

mwfuss

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Until I read this thread I did not even know that Nuance had released new versions of any of these programs. I have a license for PDF Converter Pro 5 and I make use of the program quite often. I find it to be an excellent program. I would like to upgrade to 6, but not at the same price as buying the new version outright. I sent Nuance an e-mail about this and I am awaiting their answer.