topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Rename Pad  (Read 9925 times)

SexyLilDarkPaw

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Rename Pad
« on: August 04, 2009, 12:47 PM »
Tired of pressing F2 or right clicking and selecting rename on a multitude of files and folders, i propose a context menu button or something similar which opens a very basic notepad style window with all the current folder paths contents, and just like in notepad you can go line to line, find and replace, etc,.

So you can basically edit them all at once, hit save and you're done.

Anyone know if this is possible?  I think it would make life easier =] for some of us who cant learn regex and regular expressions and o-o all those crazy other tools and this way you get the efficiency but its idiot proof.  Looking for something very simple at the moment/

Although, if anyone feels up to it a more advanced version could include check boxes to exclude lines (files/folder), possibly a preview panel for pictures that updates each time you switch lines.

Anyways if any of you all know something similar in existence or know how to create something like this let me know.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 02:06 PM by SexyLilDarkPaw »

Smobu

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Rename Pad
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 02:53 PM »

SexyLilDarkPaw

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 05:04 PM »
I was just thinking more like a simplistic way to dump a directory into notepad, edit the names and have it change them in the file system. I was hoping for more of a word document feeling then a screen full of switches/boxes etc,.

I guess i can try it though, might be different then some of the other ones i have tried lately.

I was thinking of avoiding those types of renaming tools with all those checkboxes and regex expressions etc,.

but thanks anyways =]

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:45 PM »
Take a look at FreeCommander 2009.02

http://www.freecommander.com/

It's free and has a rename function.  When you press F2 you get a dialog with some simple patterns or you can just change the basenames of a bunch of files at once.

I use Bulk Rename also, but for simple renaming jobs, the one if FreeCommander is handy.

xbeta

• Friend of the Site
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • http://xbeta.info (blog of freeware)
    • View Profile
    • 善用佳软 the best freeware
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 07:31 PM »
something similar which opens a very basic notepad style window with all the current folder paths contents, and just like in notepad you can go line to line, find and replace, etc,.
-SexyLilDarkPaw (August 04, 2009, 12:47 PM)

This really good idea was implemented in 2 software:

1st is freeware Chgname.
by [email protected] in 1998, via Delphi 4.0.
the wesbiste is not visitable now(http://www.uio.no/~kln/)
but you can download via: http://www.reformed-...ownloads/Chgname.zip

2nd is the famous Total Commander.
select what you want to rename,
ctrl+m
you get a very powerful multi-rename tool.
also, you can click the button for external text editor (for me, it's Vim).
rename-pad-tc.png
▌ I use & promote <b>freeware</b>:
▌ vim/7-Zip/Firefox/IrfanView/Wink/Audacity/EverNote/AutoHotkey/GIMP/PDFCreator.........
▌ just at  <b>http://xbeta.info</b>
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 07:33 PM by xbeta »

SexyLilDarkPaw

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 08:31 PM »
Awesome Thanks All definitely gonna check those out, just to find the best one for me.

**EDIT**

Tried them, they all work awesome, but i found they all had to have me click and select to open in a pad mode, or they were addition file explorers to run.  I found one thats a little more too the point for me xD, it opens in pad mode automatically and has majority of the same options as the others.

I ended up with this one, after a day of googling freewares =]

http://tinytools.obj...e/Tools/SpeedRenamer
(recommend peeking at his/her homepage seems like there is a bunch of misc freeware (german/english) and all sorts of purposes..)

Thanks again everyone =D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:03 AM by SexyLilDarkPaw »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 03:33 AM »
Too late to the party.  Most of the time I too use Total Commander.  But I occasionally use Oscar's File Renamer, which works a bit like using a simple notepad, with simple learn-by-example macros.  Here's part of Mark Wieczorek's My Favorite Smallware review of it:
It's extremely simple interface lets you search & replace or record keystroke macro's. What really sets this apart is that it opens a directory like a text file, moving the cursor up and down doesn't just select a different file, it keeps the same character spacing as before, and you don't commit your changes until you're happy with them so you can experiment without fear of screwing up.

kli6891

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 11:47 AM »
Hmm... I might be able to whip something up using AHK. I'll report back after more investigation.

EDIT: Yeah, this definitely seems possible (and maybe even "easy"  :-\). I can make it in a couple of days.

EDIT: Ok! I finished the program, if anyone is still interested.

Open the program, choose "Select Files" and choose the files you want to rename. The edit box will then contain the file names of the files you selected. Make your changes, and hit "save and close" to rename the files, or hit "discard and close" to discard the changes.

Too unskilled to make an icon.  :P
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 02:45 PM by kli6891 »