topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Announcement: TreePadGen - generate skeleton TreePad file from folder  (Read 6552 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TreePadGen 1.0 is a stand-alone exe designed to create a TreePad file with all the top level files in the target folder, as nodes.  Yet another attempt to come up with an easy way to comment downloads mainly, but may be applicable to any folder with files you wish to comment.

Usage is simple.  Double click the .exe.  The dreaded Windows Folder Selection dialog pops up.  Select a folder. If there are any top level files in the folder(does not recurse subdirectories) a TreePad file will be generated in the target folder with the same name as the folder with an .hjt extension tacked on.

The name of the folder will be the root node.  The name of each top level file is a level 1 node.  A dummy comment of "(put your comment here)" is inserted in each node.  All that remains is to type in comments for each file(or use the TreePad clipboard monitor autopaste mechanism.)

If there is a default program for opening .hjt file type, such as TreePad or TreePad Lite, on the system, after the file is created it will be opened.  If the output .hjt file already exists, you will be given the option to overwrite or cancel.

Since 64 bit is coming on bigtime, the 32 bit shell extension way of doing it is doomed.  This is a simpler approach.  I hope some of you find it useful.

The link is near the bottom of the download page on my site:

http://www.favessoft.com/downloads.html

As always, it is free for you to use at your own risk. :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 05:43 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Note: the TreePadGen.exe in the download now has a minor fix so that if you hit the Cancel or Close button on the Browse For Folder dialog, you don't get an error dialog. The application just quits.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
For those who prefer downloading from well known sites, here's the link to TreePadGen on Softpedia:

http://www.softpedia...ols/TreePadGen.shtml

To tell the truth I think it just downloads from my page but still, at least you know they tried it before putting it up. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TreePadGen 1.1 is now available on my site. I've added TreePadAdd.exe to append new entries to the TreePad file generated with TreePadGen.  Also the dummy comment for each node is optional via .ini file setting.

Example usage of TreePadAdd would be several new downloads in your download folder.  Run TreePadAdd and manipulate the FileOpen Dlg so that newest files are at the top. Select the new files.  They will be appended to the TreePad file for that folder.

edit: Important note.. TreePadAdd just assumes the target .hjt file has been created with TreePadGen.  Run TreePadGen to create the initial .hjt file for the folder so that the folder name will be the root node.  As I update I'll probably end up merging the programs or adding some code to check for this condition and provide an option to generate the TreePad file etc..  Most likely I'll just call TreePadGen from TreePadAdd if the target .hjt file doesn't exist.  I'll work on it. :)

Note: I haven't seen any easy method for merging TreePad files with comments onto an existing TreePad file so that you could import a tree and have the comments overwrite the dummy comments.  This method at least makes it a bit simpler to add new files as your download folder grows.  Maybe some multiple clipboard utility would make it a bit easier to add the file comments.. but for the time being this approach would seem to work on any Windows XP or later independent of 32 or 64 "bitness."

(The modification has been submitted to Softpedia. Typically it will update in one or two days.)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 06:29 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TreePadGen 1.2  I included the TreePadAdd functionality as a function.  Only one executable and smaller download now.  If the TreePad file for the folder doesn't exist, TreePadGen creates it.  If it already exists, a FileOpen dlg comes up to append entries.  This way you don't have to remember if a TreePad file was already created for the current folder.

As usual, please let me know if you find any bugs. :)

edit: this version is now up on Softpedia for download:

http://www.softpedia...ols/TreePadGen.shtml
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 10:41 AM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TreePadGen 1.3  Fixed bug that caused TreePad file basename to be blank if the root of a drive was the selected folder.  Also added .ini options to remember last folder selected.

edit: added note to Readme file.  UNC paths are not supported by the BrowseForFolder function used in AutoIt3.  (e.g. \\NAME\folder1\folder2)  To use with a networked drive, map the drive to a drive letter. Also be certain the user of TreePadGen has file create/modify permissions for the shared folder.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 11:48 AM by MilesAhead »