topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Shared Web Email  (Read 3306 times)

muzza4

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Shared Web Email
« on: May 29, 2009, 06:53 PM »
Hi there,

I've been unsuccessful finding the email product our small company needs. Basically we want to be able to see each others emails, plus have it on the web.

With all the experience here, I though someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

We are 4 people, and each person has several email addresses on different domains (all pop).

Our requirements are
1.   emails stored on the web
2.   emails written on the web (and locally if possible)
3.   effective email search of own document including attachments
4.   effective email search of other member's document including attachments
5.   contact information for the 4 people merged and available to all (maybe by domain)
6.   view history of emails for a contact (or domain)
7.   robust
8.   secure.

Thanks

Muzza

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shared Web Email
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 10:14 PM »
Hi Muzza -

Seems like you could get most of the way there by combining some tools if you're willing to roll up your sleeves a little bit. You might look into a tool that can convert multiple e-mail accounts into an RSS feed so that everyone can view the e-mails. But I don't know of any single web-based tool that can do all this.

For one thing, some of your criteria are kind of tough. For example, aggregating several POP accounts into one web-based account is pretty simple. But what about sending out e-mail from those accounts? If you have [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected], how do you specify which one is the sender? Outlook can do this, but no web tool I know of.

Actually, come to think of it, Outlook plus Exchange Server meets all your criteria. Exchange has some really sophisticated web mail features, plus things like public folders and routing rules that could be configured to make it all hang together. But it's not cheap and it's not easy to set up Exchange + Outlook. Plus it's Microsoft.
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.