topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: monitor ink usage  (Read 8112 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
monitor ink usage
« on: May 12, 2009, 06:28 PM »
hello

recently my printing volume increased dramatically and I researched for an economic way to use my Canon IP4300 by refilling the cartidges

however, if the chip is not reset the printer stops to monitor ink usage and thus there is a risk of trying to print with empty cartidge which harms printer

there are auto reset chips or chip resetters, however I wouldn't waste more money on them (the cost would exceed the printer cost itself) and waste time to reset them

thus, I would like to somehow accurately and reliably monitor ink usage, by monitoring pages printed, ink coverage on each page, etc, so that to use a software method to alert when ink would run low

is there a solution like this?
if you have other solutions for cheap printing please inform me

thanks!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: monitor ink usage
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 08:40 PM »
I refuse to get rid of my Epson Stylus C88 because I can get refurbished cartridges for $5 or $6 ea. at http://www.123inkjets.com/

I probably wouldn't have tried such a thing except I had been buying clone cartridges at a big savings from them for a long time.  The only issue I've had so far is maybe one in 40 or 50 cartridges turns out to be dry.  But for that money it's not worth worrying about.  I just chuck it.  Plus they have deals if you buy 4 or 6 at a time. I can reload all my cartridges for the price of one new name brand ink cartridge from Best Buy.

Like anything else, if it works for you it's great.  If it doesn't then it sucks.  I don't print in large volume but I've been using that source over the years so take it for what it's worth. :)

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 05:59 PM »
Sorry, don't have a solution.

But when I saw the thread title I thought 'Huh? My monitor doesn't use ink.'

It's been a long day  :-[

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 07:14 PM »
I thought 'Huh? My monitor doesn't use ink.'

That's probably because you use a no pen source driver.  :o

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 09:01 PM »
I think the same guy that came up with that graphics chip is the guy who did the Flintstones instant camera with the woodpecker inside. :)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 03:31 PM »
Sorry, don't have a solution.

But when I saw the thread title I thought 'Huh? My monitor doesn't use ink.'

It's been a long day  :-[

you probably will in the future  :)

but, anyway, there are some software out there that do more or less this job, I wonder if someone has experience on their accuracy and any specific recommendation, or all are for enterprise-size printing needs

Inknmore

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 04:43 AM »
I know this is a really old message, but I thought I would put a post to answer this question. You can get a chip resetter for $60 at http://www.macroente...p/ia-mp-can-cli8.htm, I am not affiliated with this company, but I have purchased one of these chip resetters from them.
I own and operate a inkjet refill retail store and I use it on a daily basis. You can reset the bigger black cartridge(pgi-5bk) and all the color cartridges(CLI-8xx).

If anyone wants more info or has more inkjet cartridge related questions, go to my website Inknmore.com and I will be happy to answer your questions.

Larry

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 06:54 AM »
Just a word of warning - if your printer has a separate print head (as do most Canon printers) then beware of cheap ink refills or compatibles - I have come across a number of dead Canon print heads over the past year from using cheap ink and the replacement print head is more than the cost of a new printer. You can sometimes recover them by soaking the head in alcohol over night but often they never work quite as well after they have been clogged and seem to be more prone to clogging in the future.

I don't sell cartridges (maybe I should) but I always recommend my clients use original cartridges if they are reasonably priced and if not buy a new printer with decent consumable prices.

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 03:41 PM »
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 04:07 PM by ha14 »