topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 8:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Would you recommend friends to use XP or Vista?  (Read 22467 times)

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Would you recommend friends to use XP or Vista?
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 10:23 AM »
Regarding not liking Explorer, I am not a huge fan either, so I use Q-Dir.  Which I love.  They even have a 64bit version.  Why does that matter?  Heck, it probably doesn't, but I like the idea of running 64 bit software. haha.
It really doesn't matter much for a file manager, except for running 64bit shell extensions... but you can usually install 32bit versions of those even on 64bit systems, and keep using a 32bit file manager.

Edit:[/b] Oh!  Forgot to mention UAC.  On Vista, it lasted about 10 minutes and then had to go.  Most annoying thing ever.  I haven't even touched it on Win7.  Works much better.  Oh yea, Libraries.  Love them.  Ok, thats enough out of me.
Remember to crank the UAC lever all the way to maximum on Win7, otherwise it's not safe at all. Then repeat after me: UAC has never been annoying, shoddily coded 3rd party software is annoying :)

No thanks, I actually don't even need the feature.  I haven't even used an AV, Antispyware, or Firewall for... well, since the 90s.  I never, ever get infected.

And I thought you should know that I refused to repeat after you, UAC is hugely annoying.  :)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Would you recommend friends to use XP or Vista?
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 01:11 PM »
No thanks, I actually don't even need the feature.  I haven't even used an AV, Antispyware, or Firewall for... well, since the 90s.  I never, ever get infected.
Me neither, since the early 2000's. But it's only a matter of time before a banner server/whatever is compromised for a NoScript whitelisted site. I'd rather have UAC catch that than getting some nasty malware.

And I thought you should know that I refused to repeat after you, UAC is hugely annoying.  :)
Naaaah, it's not - it's much nicer to deal with than a non-admin account + RunAs, which is the only secure alternative.
- carpe noctem