topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 9:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: One Cool Chameleon  (Read 5402 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
One Cool Chameleon
« on: May 07, 2009, 02:26 PM »
To be honest, I don't know if this is real or not, since I don't know how chameleons work, but if this is really how they change colors, this is amazing!

vlcsnap-6899657.png
Click for YouTube Video

Check out the video for more. Sorry that it's in WMV format. I got this video in an e-mail and that's how it came.

EDIT: After cursory research, I've found that chameleons don't really work this way. Sure would be cool if they did, though. :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 03:01 PM by Deozaan »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: One Cool Chameleon
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 02:48 PM »
apparently, it's a myth that they change colour as a means of camouflage (i learned that by watching QI), it's to do with their emotional state - or something.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 02:50 PM by nudone »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 02:52 PM »
apparently, it's a myth that they change colour as a means of camouflage (i learned that by watching QI), it's to do with their emotianal state - or something.

Then this guy goes through a rainbow of emotions in this video. There's even a point where he's standing on three different colored sunglasses at the same time and has all three different colors in his skin.

It makes me wonder if he has to think about that or if it just happens naturally. It also makes me wonder how it works so I can genetically alter cotton to do the same thing so I can make clothes that automatically change color to whatever they touch.

:Thmbsup:

EDIT: Now if only chameleons really worked that way!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 03:02 PM by Deozaan »

rsatrioadi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 09:39 PM »
when i was younger, wild chameleons were common around my neighborhood. i've seen them change skin colors but until now i thought that it was for camouflage. it is surprising to know that they do it according to their mood and for communication. nice!
:Thmbsup:

drum6789

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 10:00 PM »
I've never seen many chameleons, so I didn't know why they changed colors, always thought it was for camouflage.  Interesting.