topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anyone use Netflix or Blockbuster or any other online rental service?  (Read 5480 times)

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm a huge documentary fan and i've been seeing some hard to find content at these online rental places and was wondering if anyone out there has any horror stories i should know about or fine-print i should read before diving in.

Thanks.

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone use Netflix or Blockbuster or any other online rental service?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 06:25 PM »
No horror stories... but I found it hard to make it worth the money.  Guess that I am too busy to watch DVDs all the time!

Ampa

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 08:24 PM »
My sister uses Netflix, she seems to like it. A couple buddies of mine have used Blockbuster Online, they seemed to like it too. I think they're both pretty much the same. I get the impression Netflix's shipping is faster (but I'm not sure). With Blockbuster Online you also get 2 free movie or game rentals at a local blockbuster (if you have a membership).

If you do decide to sign up for blockbuster online, could you consider signing up through the following website? If you do you get the first month for $10 (instead of $15) and I would get a referal credit towards a free Xbox 360.
http://xbox360s.freepay.com/?r=18728939

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 04:44 AM »
i've used both, here in the UK, and i've now given up on them.

the first couple of months everything seems fine - you pretty much get what you asked for in your list - after that the speed of delivery and number of 'lost in the post' emails starts to be annoying.

maybe it's just like that in the UK.

(i'm not the only one who has cancelled their subscription - one or two friends of mine have done the same.)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 05:44 AM »
Anyone tried the Amazon service (UK in particular for me)

thomthowolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Bad software makes me tired
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 02:02 PM »
I am a long time Netflix user.  Sorry to hear about the troubles in the UK, but here in the US I have nothing but good things to say about the service.  I am on the cheapest level of service and I love the fact that I can split my lists.  My wife maintains her own list, as does my daughter.  I return a movie and get the replacement generally the next day.  I find a lot of hard to find movies, and I really love the service.  I also travel a good deal and the ability to take movies with me and not be worried about late fees is a real benefit to me.  You do have to watch movies a lot in order to make it pay, but overall we have saved a lot of money using this service instead of going to our local Blockbuster.
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 03:12 PM »
I've used both Netflix and BB and found them comparable except for the free  BB rentals. However, you might check for the nearest distribution facility before making a decision. In my case, both have facilities within 25 miles, making for very fast turnaround.