topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FARR Plugin Updates - Very Confusing  (Read 3947 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FARR Plugin Updates - Very Confusing
« on: May 02, 2009, 02:11 AM »
OK, I mentioned this in another thread somewhere around here, and I did get some replies but I am now very unsure of what needs to be done.

A number of my FARR plugins are apparently outdated. By that I mean that the dcupdater tool says that they need to be updated but it apparently cannot download the updates. When I posted before, a few weeks ago, there were about six or seven that needed updates. Now it is up to about a dozen. Back when I posted it was mentioned that those plugins were all bundled together somewhere - not on the FARR download page, though - and that the associated plugins should be manually removed/deleted/uninstalled - something!! - and the bundle then installed separately. I asked if that bundle would be handled from then on via dcupdater but I can't remember getting an answer to that.

Tonight I was reading through the FARR Help file, trying to learn how to use it for more than just launching programs and I decided that I had better start removing those outdated plugins IF I could figure out exactly what needed to be done. (Which I can't yet at this point). I can't remember which specific plugins were affected so I opened FARR Options and took a look at the plugins configuration dialog. Unfortunately that looks like all plugins are fine. I mean it doesn't indicate there that any particular plugins need updates, or are not usable. (I guess I'll wait for the next dcupdater attempt and take a screenshot so I know which plugins are affected).

Anyway, next I tried clicking on the "Check for Plugins Updates..." button in FARR plugin Options, but nothing happens. Doesn't open the browser page, doesn't say any updates are needed, doesn't say that all plugins are up-to-date (which apparently they are not). So I guess that the plugin update check within FARR is not operable, at least not at this time. I tried clicking the "View Plugin Error Log" button and it opened the log, (which was eerily like something out of The Shining, when Shelly Duval finally looks at the typed pages of the book Jack Nicholson has been typing and sees that they all contained the phrase "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" over and over again). My plugin error log contains the same error - only one - repeated over and over for over 4,000 lines: that Klip Kommander could not access the clipboard! No other errors logged.

So this begs the question: Are those plugins that need updates no longer usable? Or are they OK, just outdated?

Also, where are the updates? I looked at the addons page but I don't know which of the many listed there contains the updates for those not getting updated anymore by dcupdater. (Man, that is a confusing sentence!!). And will those be covered by dcupdater if I manually install them? Or will this be a regular maintenance thing?

Thanks, and sorry for all the confusion. I'm sure that this post seems silly to the FARR plugin experts here, but for the uninitiated it is sorely needed info!

Jim

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR Plugin Updates - Very Confusing
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 08:07 AM »
I guess I'll wait for the next dcupdater attempt and take a screenshot so I know which plugins are affected

Thanks, and sorry for all the confusion. I'm sure that this post seems silly to the FARR plug-in experts here, but for the uninitiated it is sorely needed info!

Hey Jim,

Why not just run DCUpdater now for the screen shot instead of waiting?

Your post doesn't seem at all silly to me (but then I'm inexpert in almost every field -- you should see my mowing)!

I know that I don't use FARR to its full potential and there seems to be a lot of information about it, and its plug-ins, scattered across various locations/topics. The result for me is that if I can't see an easy update path to a  plug-in I just remove the item.

That said, I don't want to give the impression that I'm ungrateful for FARR or the efforts of mouser and the plug-in writers -- FARR from it!  It must be a beast trying to provide cohesive documentation for a product that's constantly evolving in multiple directions simultaneously.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 08:09 AM by cranioscopical »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR Plugin Updates - Very Confusing
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 01:44 PM »
I guess I'll wait for the next dcupdater attempt and take a screenshot so I know which plugins are affected

Thanks, and sorry for all the confusion. I'm sure that this post seems silly to the FARR plug-in experts here, but for the uninitiated it is sorely needed info!

Hey Jim,

Why not just run DCUpdater now for the screen shot instead of waiting?

Your post doesn't seem at all silly to me (but then I'm inexpert in almost every field -- you should see my mowing)!

I know that I don't use FARR to its full potential and there seems to be a lot of information about it, and its plug-ins, scattered across various locations/topics. The result for me is that if I can't see an easy update path to a  plug-in I just remove the item.

That said, I don't want to give the impression that I'm ungrateful for FARR or the efforts of mouser and the plug-in writers -- FARR from it!  It must be a beast trying to provide cohesive documentation for a product that's constantly evolving in multiple directions simultaneously.

-cranioscopical (May 02, 2009, 08:07 AM)

Oh, I'm not trying to give that impression either. I absolutely love it for launching programs - I don't launch them any other way. Never have to touch the darned Start menu!

But there is obviously so much more there, and I want to explore it. I'm great at picking things up if there's any documentation I can glance at. But I must admit that FARR leaves me scratching my head a lot!

Thanks!

Jim