topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful  (Read 765979 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful
« Reply #875 on: June 04, 2016, 03:34 PM »
Bookmarklets as viable alternative to extensions?
Perhaps this list of bookmarklets can get us motivated to clean up our growing list of power hungry extensions:
http://www.howtogeek...browsing-experience/

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #876 on: June 04, 2016, 03:45 PM »
@Curt: Thanks for the Dump List of add-ons.
I see several have been made incompatible by Firefox signing rules.
That is one of the things that is driving me away from Firefox.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: Interclue could be rather useful
« Reply #877 on: June 04, 2016, 04:18 PM »
Download Firefox add-ons link: Interclue :: Add-ons for Firefox
I searched and saw that Interclue had been mentioned in various parts of DCF (including this thread, I think), but thought I should mention it again.

I installed Interclue after reading the comments on the Add-ons page which seem to suggest that it is "broken". However it has an up-to-date signature and, after installing it, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it seems to work fine so far, though I haven't tested all of its functionality.
I seem to recall using something similar some time back that gave a "look-ahead" for any link and I dumped it because it was invasive and didn't give the user much control over what was to be viewed.
However Interclue has a really detailed set of options and is fully controllable and not invasive, furthermore, it does a lot more than just "look-ahead".

Well worth a look-see IMHO. Could be a potential RAM, CPU and bandwidth resource hog though - but these behaviours too can be constrained via the options.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #878 on: June 07, 2016, 07:50 AM »
Any way to add a right-click menu on selected text to add to Google Keep?

Recent Google Keep extension for Chrome is just a wonderful addition:
https://chrome.googl...cbbapmcbpinfpgnhiddi

Can probably do something like that by adding it to Evernote (now that they work hand in hand with Google Drive) ?

Would be good thing when working in Linux.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #879 on: June 07, 2016, 12:41 PM »
Any way to add a right-click menu on selected text to add to Google Keep?

Recent Google Keep extension for Chrome is just a wonderful addition:
https://chrome.googl...cbbapmcbpinfpgnhiddi

Can probably do something like that by adding it to Evernote (now that they work hand in hand with Google Drive) ?

Would be good thing when working in Linux.

That is the first I heard of Keep.  It looks like it could be cool.  I am reluctant to do any syncing because I have had so much hassle with duped bookmarks etc..  For some reason when they set up these syncing mechanisms they don't want to make it easy for you to upload/download with overwrite like XMarks.  I don't want to experiment with Keep and hose my bookmarks yet again.  (Although I do have RollbackRX and could probably roll back to sane bookmarks but it is the principle of the thing.)  :)

Have you tried AlternativeTo site?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #880 on: June 07, 2016, 04:45 PM »
@MilesAhead: Google Keep doesn't seem to do any syncing in the way that (say) Xmarks did/does, so I doubt it would be a problem in the way that you suppose.
It's just a way of clipping stuff to Google Drive in the Cloud - or locally ("offline") - a bit like a Clipboard store.
If you had Google Drive installed on the PC/laptop hard drive, then the store would end up there also.
Google Keep isn't of much use yet, because it is pretty basic/limited in what it does. I am waiting to see whether Google will develop it further. It has lots of potential.
I was hoping I might be able to dump Scrapbook in favour of Keep, but no, not yet anyways. Scrapbook is the main reason I am still tied to Firefox.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 04:57 PM by IainB »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #881 on: June 07, 2016, 06:04 PM »
@IainB thanks for the info.  When I see "sync" I just assume they will glob everything together and push it if you want it or not.  :)  Good to know all is not insanity.  :)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #882 on: June 08, 2016, 06:27 AM »
http://www.clicktoapp.com/ used to be a nice free app - looking for old free version or someway to do same tasks.

Used to have many issues syncing with XMarks, even Mozilla sync for Firefox.
Happened once with Google about 7 years ago or so. Wrote to them and things were fixed almost instantly.
Syncing issues nowadays are a thing of the past.

Google Keep on Android syncs right away with their online database.
Comes in handy to take quick pictures, add notes or tags (recent novelty).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #883 on: June 08, 2016, 07:01 AM »
http://www.clicktoapp.com/ used to be a nice free app - looking for old free version or someway to do same tasks.

If you have an idea when the last free version was available on their web page try here:
https://archive.org/web/

There is a chrome extension that is somewhat similar.  Highlight something in the browser and a floating menu of icon buttons pops up next to the mouse.  I can't remember the name of it though.  I removed it from SlimJet in favor of SelectionSearch extension.

I looked at Click.To web site.  I am still not sure exactly what it does.  But I take it that it is a stand-alone program and works independently of browsers.  For some reason these fast paste utilities seem to go from freeware to payware as soon as the bugs are removed.  :)

Try this link:  https://web.archive..../www.clicktoapp.com/

It looks like the last beta release.  Edit:  Oops!  It just says the beta is over.  Oh well, some time before that may work.  :)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:28 AM by MilesAhead »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #884 on: June 08, 2016, 02:07 PM »
http://www.clicktoapp.com/ used to be a nice free app - looking for old free version...

^ impressive set of features! http://www.clicktoap...en/what-is-click-to/ 
And the price!  :up: >Subtotal: USD 9.80, plus 25% sales tax/VAT: USD 2.45, Total amount: USD 12.25< 
- with Lifetime Licen...oh: History, No updates for 2½ years. http://www.clicktoap...com/version-history/

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #885 on: June 08, 2016, 03:37 PM »
http://www.clicktoapp.com/ used to be a nice free app - looking for old free version...

And the price!  :up: >Subtotal: USD 9.80, plus 25% sales tax/VAT: USD 2.45, Total amount: USD 12.25< 
- with Lifetime Licen...oh: History, No updates for 2½ years. http://www.clicktoap...com/version-history/

Hmm, I used the web archive to go back to 2011. In the FAQ it says the program is free and will always remain so.  Heh heh.  It must call home or something because I installed the 2011 version and running it says the beta is over and asks if you want to go to the web site and download the newest.  This is supposed to be a 14 day trial. I just installed it.  But most of the social sites I do not use.  Likewise I do not use Word or Paint etc..  My browsers already have search in google.

Oh well, it is on here so I will try it for a bit.  :)

But I don't think you can circumvent the trial version.

Edit:  First impression is that it does seem to work.  One thing I don't like though.  If you are already in a browser, highlight some text, then hit control c, click on Wiki icon.  Then you click go to web site.  It will launch the default browser to go there.  So let us say you are in some chrome derivative but have FF as default browser.  When you click to go to the Wiki page for the copied text, you have to wait for FF to load up.  Supposedly it can be extended but I think you have to use their API to roll your own programs unless someone has already made a plugin.

It may be cool for someone who does copy/paste constantly to do work though.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 03:55 PM by MilesAhead »

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #886 on: June 08, 2016, 07:58 PM »

Maybe the price is right but the most recent post on their forum is 1 year ago.
Sounds like a dead piece of software to me.
Besides, Keep extensions working with Slimjet and Chrome are free.

Think Slimjet is the only way at the present time, to get Google Keep extensions the way they can perform on Google Chrome.
Have tried Vivaldi and Opera but these can't handle it (for the time being).

I'm surprised no one who develops extensions for Firefox has yet to make like the aforementioned one.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #887 on: June 09, 2016, 06:46 AM »

Maybe the price is right but the most recent post on their forum is 1 year ago.
Sounds like a dead piece of software to me.
Besides, Keep extensions working with Slimjet and Chrome are free.

Think Slimjet is the only way at the present time, to get Google Keep extensions the way they can perform on Google Chrome.
Have tried Vivaldi and Opera but these can't handle it (for the time being).

I'm surprised no one who develops extensions for Firefox has yet to make like the aforementioned one.

AutoCopy2 may be able to do some of the same things.  It may be worth a look.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #888 on: June 09, 2016, 07:41 AM »
That's a good one MilesAhead, thanks!  :Thmbsup:

Still have to click a few more things to save it to Google Keep though.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #889 on: June 09, 2016, 07:50 AM »
That's a good one MilesAhead, thanks!  :Thmbsup:

Still have to click a few more things to save it to Google Keep though.

As far as clicking in the browser goes, the one that gets me is trying to go back 2 pages with one click.  You cannot use the back arrow context menu since that would be 2 clicks.  I made a JavaScript bookmarklet and put it on the Bookmarks Toolbar.  If there were 2 or more pages in the history it moved -2 pages.  Otherwise it just moved -1.  Worked fairly well.  So what did they do?  They disabled the cache on the back button.  So no matter what it fetches it from the server even if you just loaded it 10 seconds ago.  Go figure!  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #890 on: September 30, 2016, 10:09 AM »
Since Opera has this feature built in I have gotten used to the Speed Dial opening if I close the Last Tab.  This FF AddOn does the same thing(or another option.)

Show Close Button in Last Tab

I am using it in FF 42.0.  I don't know if it will squawk in newer releases.  :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #891 on: November 05, 2016, 05:05 PM »
I wanted to direct panzer to a thread about Chrome extensions, but I couldn't find one. Maybe I just used the wrong terms for searching? Hmm... do "you" ("anyone") know of a "Chrome addons"-thread in our forum? I can't ask the moderator to move these Chrome related posts, if there is no thread to move them to! Or maybe it's time to launch a new thread, Fav Extensions for Chrome, or something?
:tellme:
---------
modified:
Thank you, dr_andus: Chrome Extensions: Your favorite or most useful https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=30399.0

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 08:53 AM by Curt, Reason: Chrome is not Firefox »

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #893 on: November 07, 2016, 10:32 PM »
I moved the posts about Chrome extensions from this thread into the appropriate thread.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Addon or 3rd party Windows cookie converter?
« Reply #894 on: November 23, 2016, 08:46 AM »
I am looking for an easy way to migrate chrome based cookies to Firefox cookies.sqlite file.  Google has not turned up anything that runs on FF 40+ or Windows.  All I have found so far is a linux bash script.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #895 on: February 08, 2017, 09:13 AM »
... Thanks for the Dump List of add-ons. I see several have been made incompatible by Firefox signing rules. That is one of the things that is driving me away from Firefox.

The homepage for one of my favourite add-ons for Firefox is showing these words by the author:

About this Add-on
This add-on will stop working when Firefox 57 arrives in November 2017 and Mozilla drops support for XUL / XPCOM / legacy add-ons. It should still work on Firefox 52 ESR until ESR moves to Firefox 59 ESR in 2018 (~Q2).

There is no "please port it" or "please add support for it" this time, because the entire add-on eco system changes and the technology behind this kind of add-on gets dropped without replacement.

Murder, she cried.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #896 on: February 08, 2017, 09:45 AM »
... Murder, she cried.

Yes, and it's apparently deliberate.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #897 on: February 08, 2017, 12:05 PM »
Same here. OpenDownload2 will not be updated after Firefox 57, unless it's for Pale Moon.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #898 on: February 08, 2017, 03:46 PM »
Murder, she cried.

Yes, and it's apparently deliberate

^the spelling, IainB, I believe the spelling is: "it's appallingly deliberate".

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #899 on: February 13, 2017, 01:21 AM »
Warning on Ghacks: Firefox Focus privacy scandal

Wow! What have we here? Oh no! Eyes hazing over with red...anger...must destroy...cannot stop...nooooooo!...not that!...not a rant!...

My take on this:
For me, this is the last straw. Judging by the mucking about with implementing add-on signing, making it well-nigh impossible for some/many authors of same to continue, then announcing after that that greasemonkey scripts were effectively going to be banned with a change in technical design, and now this data-gathering scam apparently) using Focus, Mozilla's direction really does seem to have been seriously compromised from within.

The appearance is one of Mozilla demonstrably having made a steady progress towards making the  product into a third-rate proprietary browser, with heavy constraints against easy user self-support, control and extensions, etc., abandoning its earlier objective for openness, extensions, add-ons, scripting by the community, etc.  - and apparently all by progressively incremental and deliberate design. It does not seem feasible that this was all done through accident or mistake, but if it had been, then it would amount to a bad case of serial execution errors. One has to wonder why it was done.

In any event and in any normal business concern, by this stage, those currently in control could arguably probably have been given the boot for non-performance, or negligence, or something. They sure as heck seem to have lost or warped or otherwise changed the focus of the Mozilla mission out of all recognition.

Regardless, I don't like it. I don't like it that, through incremental changes, my control over my favourite open browser has been progressively wrested from me by the selfsame organisation that I - as a Mozilla community member - had strongly supported over the years - an organisation that, in good community spirit, gave our community that control in the first place. As far as I am aware, these changes were not requested or initiated by me or other sincere users, but unilaterally by players within Mozilla and with no public mention/consideration of the potential future adverse implications for all users and for the original Mozilla direction, and it has been deliberate and going on for quite a while now.
This could rather give an impression that suggests that the Mozilla organisation may have been hijacked for some ulterior purposes, and this suggestion could seem to be backed up by a lot of the BS nonsense and implicit disguised or open bigoted intolerance of alternative views that seems to have come out of Mozilla over the last year or so.

Mozilla would now seem to be effectively in a position of dictating to the user community, paying lip service to, rather than genuinely acting on the user community's real needs. This has driven myself and many other users away from Mozilla. This would all seem to have been deliberate, and, as I said above: One has to wonder why it was done. I think we should be told.
/rant
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:15 AM by IainB, Reason: Minor corrections. »