topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Cleaning Inside the Case  (Read 31889 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Cleaning Inside the Case
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 09:36 AM »
Edvard, i think the static did kill it. i'd just used a brush over the years on old hardware i didn't really care about - as i never ran into any trouble i got complacent and thought it was a safe method - which is obviously wasn't.

i won't be using any kind of brush in future (except for tickling cranioscopical).

i like the look of those metrovaca but they don't seem to be available in the UK.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 09:37 AM »
Given Edvard's propensity for the more... shall we say robust solutions (I lean it up against a fence outside and fire up the electric leaf blower!!)
perhaps this would appeal.

Another big suck
BigSuck.jpg

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 10:18 AM »
tinjaw recommends to shave the computer ;D. Worked fine for me. In the past I also used the vacuum cleaner to clean the case, and microfiber cloths for the components, but I removed them prior cleaning.

And I use my fingers on difficult places. Gets you dirty, but hey, that's why they invented soap :-D

briandr67

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • A Software Junky
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2009, 05:17 AM »
I haven't seen a battery powered one, but there is a USB powered one at www.tegcom.com.au

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 11:35 AM »
Nod5, any online site for that?

try Metrovac

http://www.cyberguys...ID=371&curpage=2

URL fixed :)

Long ago, I bought a dinky little SYBA USB vac for my laptop, but it never had enough oomph to do the desktops very well. I discovered the Metrovac attachments about 2 years ago, I think, but I don't really use it enough. About once a month, I'll power down a machine, let it cool, and pop the case for a blow n' wipe. Seems to work.  I'm even less organized with keyboards. I buy 2-3 of the cheapest boards whenever I get down to my last new one. Cleaning involves turning them over and whacking them on the desk! Why so many boards? Well, I've found you can't drink a cup of tea and laugh uproariously at the same time.
 :D

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

Mooseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2009, 08:08 PM »
As one poster said, use filters on the fans as a preventive measure.  BUT, you have to ensure they are installed right.  On all my computers and most of those I build, I use filters and all the fans blow the air INTO the case.  Why?  Basically, if any of you have ever seen big monster servers, that's how they are setup with filter cartridges capturing dust before it enters the case.  Putting filters on exhaust fans would only clean the air exiting the case and do nothing to prevent dust from coming in.  You just have to ensure you have a way for the hot air to get out, such as an empty 5.25" front slot or open PCI slots on the rear.  On these setups, I clean the filters about once a month and the inside of the case only once per year or even longer.  Even then, there is very minimal dust.

For regular cleaning, I use a mini compressor hooked up to a blow gun.  I got it for $99 at Wal-Mart and it also came with a nail gun and hose.  Although it won't blow air continuously, it will give enough to clean out most computers and is environmentally friendly.  The only advice I can give with using ANY kind of compressed air is to not over spin the fans as this could damage them. :nono2:

tymrwt33

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2009, 09:21 PM »
Never open my case, except to add memory. Never saw any dirt inside, everything is gleaming clean. I change computers about every four years. The last one I gave to my granddaughter who had it for eighteen months now, the machine is about five and a half years old.

My motto is " If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

How do you know when to clean your computer?. Is it overheating, some malfunction that makes you think dirt is the problem, some time schedule, or is your machine saying "Clean me, clean me", or are you just bored?.

joemcco

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2009, 10:43 PM »
I have to agree with Jim on the DataVAC http://www.amazon.co...ng-kit/dp/B000OVUH30  :Thmbsup: this one is kind of on the pricey side but I bought one back in 1994 and it still going strong. Actually I recently used it to power bleed my brake system on my f350

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2009, 11:22 PM »

Long ago, I bought a dinky little SYBA USB vac for my laptop, but it never had enough oomph to do the desktops very well. I discovered the Metrovac attachments about 2 years ago, I think, but I don't really use it enough. About once a month, I'll power down a machine, let it cool, and pop the case for a blow n' wipe. Seems to work.  I'm even less organized with keyboards. I buy 2-3 of the cheapest boards whenever I get down to my last new one. Cleaning involves turning them over and whacking them on the desk! Why so many boards? Well, I've found you can't drink a cup of tea and laugh uproariously at the same time.
 :D

Man, I do hear you about keyboards! Oddly enough - though I often eat and drink (among other things) at my computer - I rarely get anything spilled on mine. My problem is that I destroy them! I am heavy on the keys - especially when I'm either in a hurry or just in a not-so-sweet mood - and for some reason I will occasionally end a bunch of text entry with a resounding, hand-raised-above-my-head hard press of the Enter key; they don’t last long when you do that, unfortunately.  :-[

I always liked the Logitech G15 boards though they are pricey. Logitech replaced it, though, with a new version that has less features and was almost twice the price. Actually not double retail but the others were always on sale and the new model is more expensive and never on sale then. So I switched to the G11, which has the same features except no LCD panel and is less costly. I but two or three when the price is really low and save them. Same with the MX Revolution mouse - list at >$99 but I wait till I see them for <$40 and buy two or three also.

Thanks!

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2009, 11:26 PM »
As one poster said, use filters on the fans as a preventive measure.  BUT, you have to ensure they are installed right.  On all my computers and most of those I build, I use filters and all the fans blow the air INTO the case.  Why?  Basically, if any of you have ever seen big monster servers, that's how they are setup with filter cartridges capturing dust before it enters the case.  Putting filters on exhaust fans would only clean the air exiting the case and do nothing to prevent dust from coming in.  You just have to ensure you have a way for the hot air to get out, such as an empty 5.25" front slot or open PCI slots on the rear.  On these setups, I clean the filters about once a month and the inside of the case only once per year or even longer.  Even then, there is very minimal dust.

For regular cleaning, I use a mini compressor hooked up to a blow gun.  I got it for $99 at Wal-Mart and it also came with a nail gun and hose.  Although it won't blow air continuously, it will give enough to clean out most computers and is environmentally friendly.  The only advice I can give with using ANY kind of compressed air is to not over spin the fans as this could damage them. :nono2:

Yikes! Filters! Actually I considered it but I am concerned about airflow restriction. There are a number of fans on my desktop box; it was designed/built by Falcon Northwest and they asked me not to add any filters. Their boxes are designed and built custom so when I talked to support it was usually someone who was very familiar with my box. The cooling is a non-liquid system that utilizes baffles and fans - some inward, some outward. Restricting one accidentally could upset the flow of all so I decided to leave filters out and go with regular cleaning.

Thanks!

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2009, 11:30 PM »
Never open my case, except to add memory. Never saw any dirt inside, everything is gleaming clean. I change computers about every four years. The last one I gave to my granddaughter who had it for eighteen months now, the machine is about five and a half years old.

How do you know when to clean your computer?. Is it overheating, some malfunction that makes you think dirt is the problem, some time schedule, or is your machine saying "Clean me, clean me", or are you just bored?.

I can't do that with my case. When you are in a house that is well over 100 years old it is constantly generating dust. Doesn’t matter how much you clean, the house is slowly disintegrating I guess, and dust happens! And with a fan-driven exhaust system there is no reasonable way to keep all dust from getting inside the case. Thus I have to handle the dust after it is in the box!

Thanks!

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2009, 11:32 PM »
I have to agree with Jim on the DataVAC http://www.amazon.co...ng-kit/dp/B000OVUH30  :Thmbsup: this one is kind of on the pricey side but I bought one back in 1994 and it still going strong. Actually I recently used it to power bleed my brake system on my f350

Thanks Joe. I do want to get one but there are other pressing things that also want my money, darn it! Doesn’t mean I won't get it; just means I have to wait a little longer.  :)

Thanks!

Jim

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 12:40 PM »

I can't do that with my case. When you are in a house that is well over 100 years old it is constantly generating dust. Doesn’t matter how much you clean, the house is slowly disintegrating I guess, and dust happens! And with a fan-driven exhaust system there is no reasonable way to keep all dust from getting inside the case. Thus I have to handle the dust after it is in the box!

Thanks!

Jim

Does your comment ever strike home! My place started as a cabin in 1917, and was remodeled with added rooms and a garage in 1947. It isn't just a dust problem; there really is fine debris coming from everywhere! A couple of my machines run 24/7, but those that aren't on still accumulate fine particulates. Cleaning all of them becomes a routine eventually.
 ;)
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.