topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: create fill in the blank in PowerPoint  (Read 28817 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
create fill in the blank in PowerPoint
« on: December 09, 2008, 09:22 PM »
Looking for an easy way to create a fill in the blank type question in PowerPoint 2003 or 2007.  My pastor would like something like this when I do his sermon notes.  For example:

For God so ____ the world that He ____ His only begotten _____.  And then to have the blanks filled in one at a time on mouse click.

I have look on Google, Yahoo and microsoft but haven't found the answer yet.

I figured the good people at DC would have an idea if this can be done or not.

thanks,
Dave

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: create fill in the blank in PowerPoint
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 01:06 AM »
Here you go.  I just put the words you want to fade in in separate text boxes and told them to fade in on click.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 05:41 AM »
Thanks cthorpe, the first fill in overlaps the word before it.  I had tried something similar before but couldn't get the fill ins to line up correctly.  I was hoping there was a add in or something that would make this a lot easier.  Plus it seemed to be harder than what it should be to do this.  I need to look at PPT 2007 to see if it might be easier to do this...doubtful.

I even tried the Presenter that comes with Open Office but it didn't do it either.

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 01:18 PM »
Is it ok if the words appear in a specific order? In which case just have several slides that build up to the completed sentence.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 08:55 PM »
I have tried that it doesn't look very professional.  Not that I am a pro but would like it to look good.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 05:05 AM »
http://www.sameshow....om/quiz-creator.html will do it all, I assume, but it is $130

But why does he say is must be PowerPoint? There are plenty of quiz makers out there!
- even some, I expect, that will offer to convert the final quiz into PPT or similar.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:40 AM by Curt »

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 01:15 PM »
Well, to be frank I'm struggling to understand what the problem is.

cthorpe's solutions works perfectly; if - perhaps because your print layout settings are different - the fill in word overlaps the other words in the sentence, then just spend 30 seconds dragging the text box to the right place.

And can you explain why you think my method doesn't look professional? Slide 1 has the text with the blank, slide 2 has the text with the word. Ain't that what you're after?

Help us out here  :)

W.Peterson

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 02:07 AM »
http://www.sameshow....om/quiz-creator.html will do it all, I assume, but it is $130

But why does he say is must be PowerPoint? There are plenty of quiz makers out there!
- even some, I expect, that will offer to convert the final quiz into PPT or similar.

the quiz creator in presentation you suggested is different, i think. becoz it uses Flash technologies, which is better for Web browsing. you can check out its sample: http://www.sameshow.com/samples/res-sample-std/sample.html

you can see, the Flash could enrich such quiz and make it interactive. but the powerpoint quiz is another way. the interaction is different.

8)

william peterson

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 05:53 AM »
I opend cthorpe's ppt again on a different computer and it was ok.  I opened it again just now on my home computer and the first fill in was off.  I dragged it back and all was well.  I just panicked a bit becuase I am looking for an EASY way to get this done so I don't have to do it all the time.  The other people in our church know less about PowerPoint than I do and I don't know very much but am learning.

Katy, I spoke a bit out of turn, failing to realize your solution could be so easy and one I hadn't thought of.  I just experimented again with it and it in fact looks pretty good.   :-[  Sorry about the use of the word "professional".

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 06:05 AM »
I again just tried creating a fill in the blank from scratch and this time I succeeded.  The problem I was having was creating the text box right over the line and then the line didn't show.

But I just tried it and even when I do it now, it works.

I am now more confused than ever.   :redface:

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 11:51 AM »
That's ok Dave

If you're having trouble lining up text boxes then another option would be to use the two slides method with the words already there in both slides - but with a rectangle filled with the background colour and no border line covering the parts you want to have blank.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 04:45 AM »
Monday 26 January, 2009:
http://www.bitsdujou...ershare-quizcreator/

Wondershare QuizCreator - Easily Create Flash-Based Online Quizzes!

Deal Available: Monday 26 January, 2009
Create Flash-based quizzes and assessments accompanied by images, sounds, links, animations, and narration. Results instantly available for analysis and review.

Deal Price: $69.95
List Price: $129.95
You Save: 47%
Full Details - Download - Buy Now

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 05:54 AM »
at this point in time, I do not want to create a flash based quiz.  But its nice to know about.  I have been using Katy's method and it now works wonderfully.  I just create a text box at the bottom of the slide, type my word in it, drag it up to where i want it and then go to custom animations and create the order in which they come in.

Simple, easy, and free.  Wjhat more could one ask for  ;)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 01:53 AM »
that's a fine solution  :up:
-and even so more because some weeks ago I forgot to tell that you freely could get it (Wondershare QuizCreator) from Giveawayoftheday.