topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Want to add a subtle embossed watermark to a couple hudred photos  (Read 15708 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My girlfriend's online retail business has a couple hundred photos. Most of them she took herself. They are showing up in other online retail stores. I want to add a subtle watermark to all of the images on her site.

I am looking for a program that will allow me to easily add a subtle transparent embossed watermark. I want to be able to tinker with it until it looks the way I want it to, and then apply it proportionally to a bunch of images. I want to be able to use a GUI to tweak it and then a batch mode to apply it to all images.

A search of these forums doesn't provide any candidates. The only thing that came close was picture-shark, but it only works with a fixed-size watermark.

I will try to find some examples that look like what I want our images to look like and add them to this thread.

Thanks, as always, for your help.

Added:
Just after I posted this, I remembered GiveAwayOfTheDay having something like this and did a search. I found Watermark Factory 2. I looks good, but it priced a bit steep for our needs at $150 (business license). I'm hoping there is something free or low(er) cost.

Added:
As I suspected, Googling for "Watermark Factory" would cause ad-words to pony up some competitors. :-) I found a business license of WinWatermark is only $50. I'm getting closer. ;-)

FOUND!!!
Bytescout Watermarking
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:38 PM by tinjaw »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Want to add a subtle embossed watermark to a couple hudred photos
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:14 PM »
I am really surprised a Python lover like yourself doesn't have a copy of Paintshop Pro by now.

You could easily create a macro by recording actions in Paintshop Pro (and refine it in python if necessary) to repeat actions on a bunch of files.

I would pick a font I wanted to use, add a new layer, add text to that layer in the color I wanted, adjust the transparency of the layer till it was just how I wanted (on the layers palette) and then play back the macro of actions in batch process. (I have never done this with text so I am unsure if you will have to set the actual text with python, manually)

You could even record/script it to create thumbnails of all the images, at the same time.

Or you could use small tiled text (alternating black & white so it will show no matter what color the image is) on a diagonal angle, flood fill with it on a new layer so it repeats across the whole image. (that would make it much more difficult to remove)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 10:37 PM »
We have a winner !!!

I found Bytescout Watermark. It has tonnes more features that the other programs I looked at and it's very reasonably priced. I purchased a copy already and should have the watermarked photos up on the site in a half hour.

watermarking_small.gif
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 07:46 AM by tinjaw »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 12:32 AM »
app103: when was Python scripting added to PSP? In the annoying Corel versions, or previously?
- carpe noctem

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 08:11 AM »
imagemagick.png

I exclusively use imagemagick to manipulate a batch of files.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 03:10 AM »
a little late to the discussion but for text-only watermark, IrfanView can do the job. :)

ws-irfanview-text-overlay.png

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 12:48 AM »
app103: when was Python scripting added to PSP? In the annoying Corel versions, or previously?

Previously, in V8, while it was still a Jasc product. Corel's first version was v10.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 12:57 AM »
Previously, in V8, while it was still a Jasc product. Corel's first version was v10.
Thanks.

Didn't know it had python scripting, duh - that makes it an even more useful tool than it already is :)
- carpe noctem

nmharleyrider

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 02:55 PM »
Why not use Paint.net.  It's free and as good as Paintshop Pro.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 06:11 PM »
Why not use Paint.net.  It's free and as good as Paintshop Pro.
How is it's scripting support, though?

I agree that paint.net is a very nice application, and fills most people's needs just fine (I've been trying to tell that to people who pirate Photoshop but don't really use anything beyond basic editing features). But on the other hand, P.N still isn't as fully-featured as PSP or PS :)
- carpe noctem