topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 2:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FORM LETTER OR COUPON MAKING SOFTWARE  (Read 5018 times)

jimmybear

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FORM LETTER OR COUPON MAKING SOFTWARE
« on: November 20, 2005, 06:34 PM »
Hay guys, anyone know where I can get (free or otherwise) FORM LETTER SOFTWARE ?  or COUPON MAKING SOFTWARE ?  I need a simple form letter software that allows me to type a form letter once and addresses it to everyone in it's mailing database;  The Coupon making software is exactly that, a program that lets me custom make coupons simply and from scratch.  ANY help or recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated.  Please post your reply or send me an email at [email protected]  THANXXXXXXXX  :D

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FORM LETTER OR COUPON MAKING SOFTWARE
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 06:58 PM »
You could do worse than look on this site in Mouser's downloads ...

Try https://www.donation...erMachine/index.html

on-disk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • On-Disk.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: FORM LETTER OR COUPON MAKING SOFTWARE
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 06:27 PM »
I was an Administrative Assistant in a past life.  What you're looking for to do form letters is commonly called "Mail Merge." 

OpenOffice.org has a Mail Merge Wizard Native to it's system (I can even point you to the crack to get Merge to Email working).   While it may not be instantly usable if you've never done mail merge before, it isn't impossible to figure out. 

In OOo, Go to Tools-> Mail merge wizard.  You can choose to use the document you're already in, make new, get it from somewhere else... Pretty basic stuff there. 

Then it will walk you through the steps till you get to selecting your Data and inserting the fields into your letter. 

Whatever you use for your data source, make sure it's in order before you start the merge.   Check for correct spellings of names and such. 

As another TIP, Use _ instead of spaces in your header row so there you won't Snafu the merge... Maybe it's just my old-school, UNIX mind at work, but I never leave a space to chance. 

It's also adds polish to your letters if your data is detailed.  Your letters will look better if your 'Name' is broken down to first_name and last_name.  That way you can choose just first or last... Think Dear Bill vs Dear Bill Smith. 

~Karlie