topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Make "Book" from Blog  (Read 3474 times)

murratore

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Make "Book" from Blog
« on: October 30, 2008, 05:45 AM »
Hello

I'm searching for a specific application.
I want to have an application which can get all (not just the latest 10-20 entries) Blogarticles, get this offline and make an offline readable "book" (like CHM-Windows Helpfile, MHT-Website, or what else). Important, all entries should be in an overview (like an TOC).

Does anybody knows something like this or has an idea how to reach this with other solutions?

Thanx!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Make "Book" from Blog
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 03:18 PM »
What blogging software are you trying to do this with? Some blog applications already have add-ons that allow you to export posts, although I've never heard of any that will do everything you're looking to do.

Here's a few ideas if you were to develop your own solution:

1. (This approach would need access to the blog's database.) You could create a query that collected the posts you wanted, and then export those records as something you could convert. It would probably be very tricky to automate the conversion phase of the process since you would also need to create format tags. I'm thinking the best bet would be to go with an intermediate XHTML file that could then be processed into the desired offline format.

2. There might be a way to leverage RSS to generate the file you need for subsequent conversion.

FWIW: I'm guessing you're going to need to develop your own solution. When it comes to blogs, popularity is the name of the game. Since most bloggers are trying to attract site hits (and click revenue), I don't think there's a huge demand out there for software that basically allows somebody to read content without visiting the blog itself. Most bloggers would consider doing something like that tantamount to 'scraping' their own content.

Luck! :Thmbsup: