topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Jeddai Knight training!  (Read 4147 times)

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Jeddai Knight training!
« on: September 11, 2008, 08:25 PM »
The wonderful things they will teach at universities, i hear surfing is available in some places but i had not heard of this before

Bring your own light sabre: Uni launches Jedi course

By Europe correspondent Emma Alberici

Posted 1 hour 14 minutes ago
Participants dressed as Jedi Knight characters perform with their light sabres

The force is strong: The university says Star Wars can shed light on political and social issues (Reuters: Issei Kato, file photo)

The UK's first Jedi course teaching personal development through a Star Wars syllabus will open to students at Queen's University in Belfast from November.

According to its publicity material, the course, Feel the Force: How to Train in the Jedi Way, teaches the real-life psychological techniques behind Jedi mind tricks.

It also claims to examine the wider issues behind the Star Wars universe, like balance, destiny, dualism, fatherhood and fascism.

The university says it hopes to attract young Star Wars fans and introduce them to education through open learning.

No prior qualifications are required and the blurb informs students that light sabres are not provided.

So there you go, all you aspiring Darth Vaders

From http://www.abc.net.a...08/09/12/2362719.htm

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Jeddai Knight training!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 10:14 PM »
The university says it hopes to attract young Star Wars fans and introduce them to education through open learning.

If that's the student demographic they're going after, why get so fancy?

If I were running that school, I'd just keep the old curriculum and offer free beer.

Bet I'd get twice as many enrollments too!  ;D
:beerchug:

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 10:56 PM »
If that's the student demographic they're going after, why get so fancy?

If I were running that school, I'd just keep the old curriculum and offer free beer.

Bet I'd get twice as many enrollments too!  ;D
:beerchug:

In the US, you wouldn't be able to legally offer that free beer till their 3rd or 4th year, in most cases. (legal drinking age is 21)

I have heard of colleges here that will give you credits for watching & discussing episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

And there is a college in the Washington DC area that has a course on "Alchemy for Wizards". ;D

Montclair State University in NJ used to have a course on "fortune telling" where you learned the ins & outs, and how-to of Tarot cards, palm reading, tea leaves, runes, and the like. (my hubby's ex-wife used to teach it)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 10:41 AM »
In the US, you wouldn't be able to legally offer that free beer till their 3rd or 4th year, in most cases. (legal drinking age is 21)

May soon be moot.

In an effort to combat the widespread problem of underage drinking on American campuses, several university Deans have now asked our Legislators to lower the drinking age to 18. Several congressmen have expressed an interest discussing the idea. Apparently, the new strategy is to redefine the problem in such a manner as to make it simply disappear.

I seem to recall Mr. Orwell had a bit to say about that sort of thing.  ;D

P.S. I wish I could pretend to be surprised about Buffy and tea reading courses in American universities. But I live in the States, so I'm not. Disgusted maybe. But not at all surprised. What does surprise me is that the rot now seems to be spreading 'across the pond.'

IMHO That is truly alarming news! ;)