topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DoyleSoft Knowledge Base - scamware marketed with zeal  (Read 6001 times)

stewcam

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
DoyleSoft Knowledge Base - scamware marketed with zeal
« on: August 16, 2008, 07:33 PM »
DoyleSoft Knowledge Base was promoted last week on Bits du Jour. The author's description at http://doylesoft.com includes the following: 'We pioneered the world's easiest to use Knowledge Base software. The peace of mind a Knowledge Base program can bring you may be more affordable than you might think...With my background in software development and optimization, I released Version 1 of DoyleSoft Knowledge Base early in 2004. Since then I have been continually improving DoyleSoft Knowledge Base with the help of feedback from an increasing number of enthusiastic users. Six years later, DoyleSoft Knowledge Base is still the world's easiest to use knowledge base, period.'

In fact this software was on Giveaway of the Day last year and was exposed there as a crude ripoff of a free VB demo by Andrew Park. See http://www.giveawayo...com/forums/topic/960 for more details. The program has several basic bugs and even a brief trial by Bits du Jour staff would have shown it to be unsuitable for promotion.

A quick Google search shows that the author is hyperactive in promoting this scamware all over the net - normally $79.95! It is probably a depressing reminder that marketing a dud piece of software with zeal is more lucrative than toiling with love over a well programmed app and then not putting a lot of effort into selling it.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DoyleSoft Knowledge Base - scamware marketed with zeal
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 08:48 PM »
...With my background in software development and optimization, I released Version 1 of DoyleSoft Knowledge Base early in 2004. Since then I have been continually improving DoyleSoft Knowledge Base with the help of feedback from an increasing number of enthusiastic users. Six years later, DoyleSoft Knowledge Base is still the world's easiest to use knowledge base, period.'

Hmmm, let me grab my super fast calculator.... working it... wait... this calculator suck... 2004+6=X, X-6=2004 HELP!

You might find comfort in DoyleSoft: The One Day Promotion, A Look Back

stewcam

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 10:17 PM »
Thanks for the blog link. Nice to see the author is a good family man, although it would be even better if he applied some family values to his software!

I also enjoyed the irony of the fact that he uses the following quote on his blog:

"No matter how much frosting you apply to a pile of crap, you still won't have a yummy tasting cake." - Paul Toone
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 10:26 PM by stewcam »

doylesoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 01:23 PM »
Hello DoyleSoft here.

I would like to kindly clear up a misconception on DoyleSoft Knowledge Base. The concept of Knowledge Base IS by Andrew Park. But, the two programs are VASTLY different. I have been adding new features to Knowledge Base for six years. The About box (under Help | About in the menu bar) now credits Andrew Park and Jordan Russell of his amazing Inno Setup. I also credit them on the trial download page at: http://doylesoft.com/download

My apologies. It was never my intent to offend anyone. Yes, I was fortunate enough to be featured once on GAOTD and twice on BDJ and I learned a lot and fixed many issues that were presented to me. I'm not too active in promoting Knowledge Base, but I have noticed that good ideas tend to spread. I also offer a 75% commission for referrals, so that may also explain why Knowledge Base is featured on hundreds of sites.

It you would like to know anything else, please ask. I am a transparent person and I try to be available to prospects and customers everyday.

Again, my apologies to anyone I have offended.

Sincerely,
- Brandon Doyle

stewcam

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 07:41 PM »
DoyleSoft, thanks for your reply. I must concede that there is nothing to stop you from taking some freely available code, modifying it and calling it your own. In fact I notice you did the same thing with DoyleSoft Basic, which was based on the obsolete program called KiDev K++ by Kinex. You later abandoned that because you felt you didn't have "the resources or ability to maintain it and fix its bugs", as discussed at http://codecraft.pro...splay&thread=368. Interestingly you never informed Kinex about DoyleSoft Basic, which would have been simple courtesy at the very least.

Returning to DoyleSoft Knowlege Base, I struggle with your claim that you have been continuously developing the product for six years. As someone else already noted above, you state that this process began in 2004 which is only 4 years ago! More importantly, the product still contains very basic flaws, which are amply described in reviews such as http://www.bladedtho...wledge-base-v2-4b74/ and in comments at http://www.giveawayo...com/forums/topic/960.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 12:24 AM by stewcam »