topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Music files 101  (Read 26271 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Music files 101
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2008, 04:07 PM »
Oops - ignorance is bliss ;)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2008, 05:39 PM »
- Left by the fatal and neglected English

Eh?
http://shakespeare.m...nryv/henryv.2.4.html

Edited, ... cannot speak English today
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 05:42 PM by Curt »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 05:48 PM »
- Left by the fatal and neglected English
-Curt

Nice one, Curt!   

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2008, 08:33 PM »
Hirudin: so, it does proper single-flac-and-cutesheet ripping for albums now? Might be worth upgrading, then... dBp is superior to EAC imho, achieving bit-perfect copies faster.

Curt: I've always found TDC to be somewhat expensive compared to the competitors. At least back in the days it was justifiable because they offered more stable connections, but that isn't really so anymore. And their tech support absolutely sucks :)

As for bitrate, isn't WMA designed to sound better at lower bitrates than MP3? I wouldn't even consider anything non-FLAC for paid digital-only music anyway, though.
- carpe noctem

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2008, 03:28 AM »
I don't use that method (I do single track MP3s, and I ain't doing all these CDs again), but I think so...

[edit]... hmm... I didn't really look at what was created with the current Rip As 1 option until now. I'm not seeing any .cue file in there and I couldn't find an option in the program and I also couldn't find any information on how to turn it on by searching google. Maybe it's not implemented properly after all...[/edit]

Here it is ripping...
Screenshot - 12_7_2008 , 2_25_49 AM.png

And the files it made...
Screenshot - 12_7_2008 , 2_27_34 AM.png
* Weezer - Weezer (Blue Album).txt (0.66 kB - downloaded 330 times.)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 06:05 AM by Hirudin »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2008, 07:19 AM »
Ah, then I'd have to use dBp to get the .wav/.flac and EAC to produce the cuesheet - that'd be bothersome (even though the higher ripping speed and less drive-strain in dBp might me worth it after all). Or perhaps there's some additional plugin that enables the feature?
- carpe noctem

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2008, 06:58 PM »
Curt: I've always found TDC to be somewhat expensive compared to the competitors. At least back in the days it was justifiable because they offered more stable connections, but that isn't really so anymore. And their tech support absolutely sucks :)

I have both Webspeed and CableTalk (was a beta tester!), and I can assure you that the support I have been given has been superior to anything I have ever met elsewhere! Lift up the phone, wait for your turn, and be directed step by step. And No, the waiting line in the evening was never terrible long.

So of course you are right that their prices are higher.

I wouldn't even consider anything non-FLAC for paid digital-only music anyway, though.

- nor would I, if I had a decent pair of speakers.... Forgive me for repeating: Their prices did not go up when they introduced PLAY, so I am paying the same per month today as then, and I originally paid for a fraction of the download speed I have now (256 kb for $29,- back then without telephone, against 16 MB for $59,- today, now including a telephone). That isn't too bad, I think.

Another great thing about all this DRM thing is, the fifteen hundreds bands I never would have heard about, hadn't I found them on PLAY. Now I not only have heard about them, but I actually have their music on my PC - and it didn't cost me anything more than I already was paying in the first place! That should not be too hard to appreciate.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:03 PM by Curt »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2008, 08:57 PM »
I have both Webspeed and CableTalk (was a beta tester!), and I can assure you that the support I have been given has been superior to anything I have ever met elsewhere! Lift up the phone, wait for your turn, and be directed step by step. And No, the waiting line in the evening was never terrible long.
Whenever I've needed support from TDC, I've had to wait in queue for a long time, be redirected 3-4 times, and ended up with my problem not being solved, or being solved half-assedly. For instance, they changed our static IP by accident, and then claimed they had no way to change it back.

And at the Museum, which paid for a business ADSL line (TDC's pro@ccess), TDC messed up a routine upgrade, causing the museum to have no internet connectivity (and thus not being able to accept credit card payments) for a week, even though their contract said 8-hour max before an issue is fixed. I ended up having to take a taxi from my flat here in Århus to TDC's office, pick up a new router, taxi to Århus train station, train to Silkeborg, and then replace the router. Service? Oh yeah.

At least their connections used to be pretty stable, but even though the museum is located pretty centrally in Silkeborg (afaik close enough to a central), TDC couldn't even deliver stable 8/2 connectivity... needless to say, we've ended up dumping them in favor of a fibre connection.

Forgive me for repeating: Their prices did not go up when they introduced PLAY, so I am paying the same per month today as then
The alternative would be not having PLAY and paying less :) (just trying to say that you are paying for it, one way or another. I've never been a fan of forced subscription bundles, things like that should be offered as (cheap) extras for people who want it).
- carpe noctem

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2008, 02:54 AM »
@ f0dder: I am sad to hear you have had such troubles. I guess there are differences between departments, or more important, between common problems and specialized ones.

@ f0dder: Are you  or  will you be  part of (a part of) project "Newspaper Library Denmark" (read Danish newspapers from year 1749 to 1900, free, on-line)? I find this project most interesting.

--
Hi,
I am in need of a quick and simple education in music files.
I mean, quick -

The time has gone, and Sarah took her stand, so I hope it is all right to use her thread for something less related now.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 03:01 AM by Curt »

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2008, 05:03 PM »
Thanks, Curt...actually the time has come (the Holidays) and I'm just going to UPS my sister our mom's Christmas music, I think she would appreciate it, having just bought a house.

The rest of the collection, well, who knows. My sister told me that she has an FTP site and said I can (up?)load any files I want, I just have to learn how to do it. That is *not* a question for this thread, though, I'll cross that bridge later when I come to it. So thanks again and please continue using this thread for whatever purpose its serving now  :).

Everything seems very complicated right now in all facets of computing, so I've backed off quite a bit, hoping that, in time, things will become simple again.

Sincerely,
Sarah
-Sarah

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 03:14 AM »
The time has gone,

actually the time has come

:D

-----

Everything seems very complicated right now in all facets of computing, so I've backed off quite a bit, hoping that, in time, things will become simple again.

Yes, this is so sad, isn't it. New programs and new systems are all meant to make things even easier. But somehow the sum make things get more and more complicated. Strange! The symptom is a little like when I was young and we all should adopt quadrophonic sound. Everybody cheered, but the manufacturers couldn't agree on one system only, so we ended up with several systems, until people gave up understanding the differences, and quadrophonic sound became a failure. The list of similar examples is long, and may include computing itself.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 03:54 AM »
That's called entropy ;)

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2008, 06:06 PM »
-sorry, useless rant removed by me...-
-Sarah
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:54 PM by SKesselman »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2008, 06:21 AM »
- double entropy, I guess. If we rant loud enough - and the manufacturers listens, and they try to set up a solution - they cannot agree on the best solution. So in the end the result of our ranting make things even more complicated!!!

:-[  sorry, I couldn't help it.