topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: TrueCrypt 6.0 released  (Read 28981 times)

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: TrueCrypt 6.0 released
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 05:25 AM »
There's TCExplorer, which is a regular, user-mode application that opens container files
This is a year old, and TC has introduced a whole new way of encoding its containers. I can't imagine that it works on containers that have been upgraded to work with TC 5 (let alone 6).

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 09:19 AM »
There's TCExplorer, which is a regular, user-mode application that opens container files
This is a year old, and TC has introduced a whole new way of encoding its containers. I can't imagine that it works on containers that have been upgraded to work with TC 5 (let alone 6).

Looks like you're right - only TC 4 containers are supported.  There's some indication that the developers might be updating the support, but it's unclear to me how much interest there really is:

http://sourceforge.n...&forum_id=705177

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2008, 10:45 AM »
Does anyone know of an application like this which allows encrypted drives to be transported and opened on a system via a thumb drive?
TrueCrypt can do this if you use container files rather than direct partition encryption - but it does require installing a driver on the host computer, obviously requiring admin privileges. Iirc there's also a CodeProject or SourceForge project for dealing with container files directly?, probably require use of FAT32 filesystem though (but that's fine for smallish container files).
Wouldn't an encrypted ThumbDrive be simpler?
Like: IRONKEY 4GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) hardware-based encryption http://www.newegg.co...Item=N82E16820323003

Nothing to install and the price isn't (that) bad either

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2008, 03:17 PM »
Stoic Joker: if there's nothing to install, how do you access the encrypted part of the thumbdrive, then?
- carpe noctem

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2008, 02:26 PM »
Stoic Joker: if there's nothing to install, how do you access the encrypted part of the thumbdrive, then?
Man I'd love to be able to answer that, but I didn't design the damn thing...

I do know that that particular "Key" point was a big part of their launch/selling point, it's supposed to be a completely self contained hardware based encryption that requires nothing to be installed ... That even they can't get into (per the site's FAQ) if you lose your decryption key. Check out their site www.IronKey.com for details as I can't substantiate their claims ... I'm just conveying the devices existence as an option.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2008, 06:09 PM »
n00b question about something like TrueCrypt:

I'd love to try out some of the features, like a "fake" clean windows install in case anybody boots my computer without me using the right key or something, with the "real" install that I use encrypted and hidden. But it seems the best way to set that up would be from a fresh format. Is it possible/recommended to start with a drive that already has data on it or would TrueCrypt be most effective/clean starting with a newly formatted drive?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 06:28 PM »
For everyone wanting to know what we are hiding that we shouldn't be "hiding" on our laptops...

I am not hiding anything!  And I have nothing nefarious that would get me into any trouble.  BUT.....  If for any reason someone at the border decided that they wanted to keep my laptop for an undetermined period of time to search it - maybe weeks?  Who knows? - I don't want to have to worry about having some idiot browsing through my private information!  My passwords for various sites and applications; my finances; my medical information; letters to my familiy members.  Anything I consider private and would not want prying eyes on.  I shouldn't hafve any of that on my laptop?  Well, then why even have a laptop if I can never keep anything on it?!?!

It just generally sucks!

Jim

BTW - Someone posting above has a graphic that is causing this page to load forever!!  Might want to fix it.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 06:30 PM by J-Mac »

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2008, 09:30 PM »
if there's nothing to install, how do you access the encrypted part of the thumbdrive, then?

From one of the on-site reviews:
this drive uses two drive letters (e.g. H: for the encryption software and I: for the drive itself)
...so it's a special partition mounted separately from the encrypted info that lets you manage the info. The access software is never separated from the info you're protecting. The only likely issue then would be OS compatibility, unless mitigated by a variety of software versions.
My Linguistic Profile:
  40% General American English
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?