topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 11:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Trinity Rescue Kit  (Read 7065 times)

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
Trinity Rescue Kit
« on: April 23, 2008, 08:43 AM »
Here's something that I had the occasion to use recently, and found quite handy & useful.
It's basically a live Linux distro, that can be burnt onto a CD or run from an USB thumb drive.

It have various data recovery tools, and multiple antivirus scanners. It also support a wide variety of hardware out of the box. It's also very easy to use, with some useful features ready with a 1 key press.

trk32-bootsplash.gif

For example, simply booting from it and choosing 10 or 11 will make all partitions files available trough Samba, and so network accessible from any PC, in a matter of seconds.
Option 6 instead will download all the latest updates for the free antivirus ClamAV and run a totally automated cleaning process on all partitions (this is very handy especially when guiding persons that aren't too PC savy "Just download this file, burn, boot from the CD and hit 6").

Off course is possible to boot to a normal prompt and do even more sophisticated things, or simply mount a NTFS partition and run a couple of other differents AV (ClamAV, AVG, F-Prot, BitDefender and Vexira: all the engines apart ClamAV are downloaded on the fly, installed in RAM and updated before starting).

For example, to do a scan with AVG:

Boot with option 2 (TRK running from RAM)
At the prompt, mount all partitions with corresponding File Systems:
mountallfs -g

A partition list is shown. Just check to see what's the one you are interested in, to be sure:
ls /sda1

Run the AV:
virusscan -a avg -d /sda1

Contrary to similar Win based tools (usually derived from BartPE), this don't need any additional software (for example an XP installation CD).

Bye!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 11:13 AM by mouser »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Trinity Rescue Kit
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 04:19 PM »
Thanks - looks interesting.

If anyone is interested it is located at http://trinityhome.org/trk

Took a while to find the download - see http://trinityhome.o...id=5&front_id=12
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 04:24 PM by Carol Haynes »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 07:54 AM »
This disk has saved my tail on several occasions. I can't recommend it highly enough. This CD has earned itself a permanent place in my tech kit. Grab a copy now and get familiar with it before you actually need to use it.

Truly useful. Right up there with lifejackets and fire helmets. :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 07:56 AM by 40hz »

invenit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 08:20 AM »
Great find! I downloaded it this morning & tested the AVG scanner against my WinXP partition. Looks exactly like what I've been looking for.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 08:40 AM by invenit »