topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Martian Headsets and the upcoming Browser War  (Read 5854 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Martian Headsets and the upcoming Browser War
« on: March 18, 2008, 05:59 PM »
I've kind of sensed this for a long time now, but Joel put it into just the right words...
You’re about to see the mother of all flamewars on internet groups where web developers hang out. It’ll make the Battle of Stalingrad look like that time your sister-in-law stormed out of afternoon tea at your grandmother’s and wrapped the Mustang around a tree.

from teh unternets

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Martian Headsets and the upcoming Browser War
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 06:36 PM »
Thanks for the link. My RSS feed reader is backlogged beyond all hope. I'm about to just claim RSS bankruptcy and start over. The thing that stops me from doing so is knowing there will be gems like this one that I will lose out on reading. The pragmatist in my says just declare bankruptcy and the gems will eventually rise to the top and be linked to in some future post that comes across my RSS feed and I will, in the long run, read all the gems sooner or later. Then my OCD kicks in.  :P

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 06:56 PM »
Ì think lot of Joel's blog posts suck, that he's a bit self-important, and a lot of the stuff he writes is pretty meh, self-evident, or flat out wrong. He does write well though, and sometimes he gets it right... and I'll have to agree that MS is damned whatever they do. Partly their own fault, and partly W3C's (write better/clearer specs, write reference browser - duh).
- carpe noctem

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 06:14 PM »
I agree.
Funny thing is, W3C's Amaya browser is so straight-html oriented that it doesn't take into account any other technologies that are now a de facto standard (as in, nobody wrote it down, but everybody does it... Java, php, Flash, etc.)
Yes, MS has shot themselves in the foot soooo many times, but I wonder how many folks notice when a 700-pound gorilla has a limp...