topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 7:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Dr. Dobb's Challenge, Game Coding Competition, Win from prize pool of $10,000  (Read 6423 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just got this alert in my email today:

Here's how to compete:

1) Download our specially created Dr. Dobb's Challenge games for either Windows or Windows Mobile.

2) Modify the games using a trial version of Visual Studio 2008

3) Compete and win from a prize pool of $10,000!

The games star the personification of Dr. Dobbs, alongside the characters from Microsoft's famous 'Defy All Challenges' machinima videos, as you battle to collect Visual Studio icons and complete the levels.

Full source code and images for the games are freely provided for programmers to 'mod' the results and win prizes.

Use your creative side to make fiendish and cool new games - change the mechanics, add new levels, even change the entire game genre - using the power of Visual Studio 2008, and win thousands of dollars doing it! For more information please review the contest guide.

Prizes:

The Dobbs First Month Challenge ($1,000) - Produce the best modded game (of any kind) in the first month.  Can be either a Windows or Windows Mobile game.

Best Windows Game ($4,000) - Produce the best modded Windows game (of any kind) across the challenge.

Best Windows Mobile Game ($2,000) - Produce the best modded Windows Mobile game (of any kind) across the challenge.

Best One Button Game ($1,000) - Produce the best game created with the intention to be accessible to all. The title is expect to use one one form of input - i.e. one button. Can be either a Windows or Windows Mobile game.

Best Game Starring Dr Dobbs And The Defy All Challenges Crew ($1,000)  - Produce the best game that still stars the Dr Dobbs and The Defy All Challenges Crew (though these characters can be redrawn or otherwise used in any way in the title.) Can be either a Windows or Windows Mobile game.

Best Total Conversion ($1,000) - Produce the best game that is completely different from the original Dr. Dobbs Challenge - i.e. uses no design aspects or assets other than the use of Visual Studio icons. Can be either a Windows or Windows Mobile game.

The deadline is June 13th, 2008,
and the deadline for First Month Challenge is April 14th, 2008.

LBR9

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dr. Dobb's Challenge Deuce (2009 competition)
Deadline this Friday!
New game levels (no coding required) take less time than full mods so there’s still time.
Best levels win $500.