topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Kodak (Complaint)  (Read 37373 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Kodak (Complaint)
« on: February 27, 2008, 09:20 PM »
Last June my wife and I bought a digital camera. A Kodak EasyShare. Relative to our income, it was very expensive. In July I used the camera to record a video of the local fireworks show. (Naturally the battery died just before the finale!) Sometime in August we realized that the video recording mode didn't work anymore. The camera uses a wheel to select which mode to go in, and I noticed a correlation that the mode on the opposite end of the wheel didn't work either.

As it got nearer to the holidays and we knew we'd want to take pictures when visiting family, I began to contact technical support. I went to the website, navigated the interactive troubleshooting guide (ITG), found and followed the troubleshooting steps that best matched my problem (i.e. didn't really match my problem at all), then finally, at the suggestion of the ITG, filled out an e-mail form asking for more assistance.

I got an automated response saying they'd try to get back to me in 24 hours. Well, eight days (192 hours) later I got a response telling me to go to the website and use the ITG to isolate my problem, and if it needed to be sent in for repairs the ITG would allow me to fill out a form for that. This was upsetting not only because I'd already tried that over a week ago, but also because there was no way for me to use the e-mail form without first using the interactive troubleshooting guide first! As part of the e-mail they received when my form was sent in, it said "Troubleshooting Guide: Yes" indicating that I'd e-mailed them through the ITG!

So I e-mailed back reminding them about the aforementioned facts and telling them that there was no troubleshooting steps that matched my problem and there was no option to fill out a form for repair. I also began to complain about it taking 8 days only to receive a worthless response and explained my problem in more detail. Furthermore I "firmly requested" that if they suggest once again to me that I use the ITG that they take 30 seconds and help me find something that matched my problem because I was seemingly incapable of doing it myself.

This time they did get back to me within a more reasonable time frame, apologized for the delay, and unhelpfully told me that I should call customer service for more assistance. I dreaded what that would be like so I put it off for about a month.

Finally I called and they told me to take the same stupid troubleshooting steps I did 1.5 months prior using the ITG. Thankfully they were short, and simple, but unfortunately still ineffective. When that didn't work they gave me an RMA # and transferred me to a recorded message with instructions on where and how to send the package. The recorded message was long winded and at times difficult to hear. And the company I was sending the camera to in order to be repaired was not called Kodak. It was called Teleplan International. But I couldn't make out what the voice was saying so I pressed a button to get it to repeat the message 3-4 times to try and hear the company name (which was near the end of the instructions, and after several attempts I still didn't get it right)! Trying to understand the recording alone probably took 20 minutes! Finally I gave up out of frustration and hung up the phone, only to go to my computer and realize they sent me an e-mail with all that information! ARGH! Why didn't they just smurfing tell me they were going to e-mail me all the smurfing information!

Once again I put off actually sending the camera off because it said it could take about two weeks and it was nearly Christmas.

Christmas with the family was quite enjoyable but we couldn't record any videos!  :mad:

We got back from the trip and mailed the camera (on our dime!) to the repair center. After over 3 weeks it came back. I opened the box to test it out and immediately noticed a few things:

1. It's got really dirty, dirty fingerprints/smudges all over it.
2. There's a really big, deep scratch on the camera.
3. There appears to be a large speck of dust on the screen. I figure it's a piece of cardboard and try to blow it off. It sticks. I try to wipe it off. It sticks. To my great dismay, I realize that it is under the glass! There's no getting rid of it!

Despite my increasing anger I decide to make sure that all the camera modes work. Well, hey! At least they got something right! Video mode now works and records. I snap a few short videos, watch them, go to delete them, and I see some other pictures on the camera.

There are two photos taken at Wal-Mart of nothing in particular. "That's strange," I thought, "I don't remember taking these pictures." The more I thought about it and looked at the photos the more I realized that 1) the photos are taken from behind a counter where only employees would go, and 2) I've never taken the camera to Wal-Mart (it was purchased brand new at Best Buy), as the nearest one is about 25 minutes away in another town. I begin wondering what part of the repair process involves taking the camera to Wal-Mart to snap photos and simultaneously thinking of what I'm going to say when I e-mail Kodak to let them know about the sorry state the camera has been returned in.

I ended up writing this:
Hello,

I received my camera back today. As promised, the functionality been repaired. Thank you for that!

Now the bad news:

The camera has dirty smudges all over the casing, which is also scratched, it has specks of dust and dirt behind the glass (meaning they cannot be wiped away because they are on the inside of the glass!) and there are even pictures on the internal memory that were taken behind a counter at Wal-Mart, where only employees would be. (This camera was purchased at Best Buy and has never entered a Wal-Mart under our care.)

Does the repair process somehow involve taking the camera to Wal-Mart to snap photos of nothing in particular?

It also looks like someone tried (and perhaps succeeded) in peeling back the sticker with the serial number on it.

The Service Report says the failure was "Pwr-No power" and the fix was to "Replace Part." I have to admit my ignorance in the matters of repairing cameras, but that doesn't sound like what the problem was to me. If this is a refurbished model and the sticker was placed on it to give us the impression that it is indeed the very camera we purchased, I feel that is very misleading and unethical.

The smudges can be cleaned and the pictures erased, but I have to express my displeasure in the state the camera was returned in. We bought this brand new for over $200 and took excellent care of it. We didn't even remove the clear sticker that covers the screen so that it would stay clean and unscratched. We always kept it in a protective case when not in use.

But within two months it malfunctioned and our only choice was to ship it for repairs, which shipping we had to pay for, and now it has been returned in this state! I am very unhappy that after the great care we took with our camera, it looks like it's been handled for two weeks by a 10 year old child.

The next day I received a "reply" to my complaint. I put reply in quotes because it was a blank message, aside from my original complaint and a standard signature saying if I want to reply to be sure to include any previous e-mail history. I thought perhaps there was a mistake and I'd receive a real reply soon. That did not happen. So 4 days later as I was becoming even more angry, I replied to their "reply" and said "A blank message is not a very good response!" and e-mailed that off.

I got a reply about how they understand my concern and know that "this can be very frustrating" on my part. The stressed the importance of feedback to Kodak and thanked me for taking the time to share my "comments" about the status of my camera, and encouraged me to let them know if I had any other suggestions or comment. They assured me that my comments were "going to be seen by the right people" and that I "can be rest assured" that my voice has been heard.

Then they basically said "Whoa! That's not our fault!" by telling me to contact Teleplan International repair center directly by phone. Personally I think that's THEIR job, since they are the ones who subcontract the repair work to the shoddy repair center. They also politely reminded me that if I wanted to send my camera back to the repair center, and if it was within 45 days from when I received my camera back, I would need to send it back to the place that mistreated my camera for repeat repair! I would not be charged for the repair cost, but shipping and insurance would probably be my responsibility again! Then they told me to go to that stupid ITG again to use the form I could never find to set up the process of repairing my camera again.

That was February 2nd and by that time I was just so frustrated and angry that I came to the conclusion that I should just cut my losses and accept the scratch and the crap under the glass just to be rid of their ineptness. I can't imagine how it would be worth it to send it back and get more Wal-Mart photos, more dirty fingerprints/smudges over it, and more scratches just in the hope of getting that stuff out from behind the glass.

So what do you think? Should I cut my losses or complain some more to them and demand a camera in exquisite condition like the one I paid for and sent in?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 01:01 AM by Deozaan »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Kodak (Complaint)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 11:09 PM »
So what do you think? Should I cut my losses or complain some more to them and demand a camera in exquisite condition like the one I paid for and sent in?
Do you have any consumer advocacy bodies available in your area?
Any computer or photography magazines with a columnist who will take up the cudgel on behalf of their readers?

I understand your frustration, I really do -- I've had some similar experiences.
I detest companies that farm out warranty issues to second- and third-rate companies.

What you do depends on how much of your life you're willing to devote to more of this frustrating journey.
Once I would have chased down the issue to the bitter end.
Now, certainly older, and (maybe) a tad wiser, I'd walk away from it as I have better things to do with my time.
I'd never buy another Kodak product, and I'd make damned sure none of my friends did either.

Meantime, since talk is cheap, I'm sending a few donation dollars your way to help establish the 'new camera' fund.
(Time to put my money where my mouth is for a change, instead of my usual tactic of inserting my foot.)

Hope you can resolve things to your satisfaction, somehow!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 12:48 AM »
Do you have any consumer advocacy bodies available in your area?
Any computer or photography magazines with a columnist who will take up the cudgel on behalf of their readers?
-cranioscopical (February 27, 2008, 11:09 PM)

Not that I'm aware of. I live in a small city in Idaho. The only thing interesting around here is Boise, and that's about 130 miles away. Or if you travel the other direction you could reach the armpit of Idaho, Pocatello. I don't know much about Pocatello from personal experience, but everyone I've talked to who lived there or traveled there frequently says they hate it. And what does it say about the town you live in if there's not even a Wal-Mart there?

Anyway, I might be able to find a "news on your side" but I'm not really sure if there is something like that in this area since I don't watch the news. Any tips on how I could find some consumer advocacy group in my area?

What you do depends on how much of your life you're willing to devote to more of this frustrating journey.
Once I would have chased down the issue to the bitter end.
Now, certainly older, and (maybe) a tad wiser, I'd walk away from it as I have better things to do with my time.
I'd never buy another Kodak product, and I'd make damned sure none of my friends did either.
-cranioscopical (February 27, 2008, 11:09 PM)

I've worked both in customer service and technical support positions so I know that people who chase down the issue to the bitter end often get what they want. But I'm also of the opinion that it's called the "bitter end" for a reason. Nobody's really a winner in those situations. The customer spends so much time and energy yelling at people to get what they want and the company just tries to get the customer to stop calling. They take silence as total compliance.

I suppose on principle alone, that cutting my losses would be allowing them to continue in these poor practices and perhaps even believing that the issue was resolved and I'm a happy customer. Then again, some battles aren't worth the effort. The camera works fine. The functionality is all there, and in the end that's what really matters. Even if it's distracting to see the carp under the glass or annoying that it has a deep scratch on it, it still takes pictures and videos, and that's what we bought the camera for. In a few years when we've got kids, they'll probably get a hold of it and it will most likely get scratched and scuffed before they finally destroy it completely.

It's just aggravating because I'm so anal about keeping my things in pristine condition, and when I sent it in to fix a manufacturing error, it comes out looking much worse.

I might fire off a few more e-mails to test the waters of how helpful they'll be (like if I demand they contact Teleplan for me), but ultimately I see myself walking away from this without much nice to say about Kodak.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 01:09 AM »
And thanks for the "few" donation credits, cranioscopical! I can't tell you how surprised and delighted I am by your gift! It's actually pretty amazing what crazy things can happen if you complain to the right people!

For Christmas 2006, my mother had ordered some gifts from a catalog that were guaranteed to arrive by Christmas. For some reason they didn't make it and all the company would say is "Sorry, it will be there in a couple weeks." I don't know what reason, if any, they gave her for the order not arriving on time, but it wasn't something understandable like terrible snow storms delaying shipments. So my mother called another company that had the same or similar products. By this time Christmas was just a couple days away so they couldn't guarantee Christmas delivery, but when my mother told them what happened with the OTHER company, they felt so bad for her that they offered her all kinds of benefits, like free expedited shipping, gift certificates, coupons, etc., even though they did no wrong!

She called the first company back to cancel her order and told them about what company #2 did for her for company #1's mistake and they tried to offer her something but it wasn't even up to what the second company offered. Not that it mattered! They didn't even offer to make amends until she told them she was canceling because she ordered it from their competitor. I doubt she would have accepted it anyway even if it was better than what company #2 offered.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 01:11 AM by Deozaan »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 05:59 AM »
If you didn't already realise, it looks like you've just been sent a repaired model from someone else. The rest of this post is how I understand things to be in the UK. Here in the UK, as within two months a fault developed with the camera, you can argue that the fault was a production fault and you should get a brand new replacement, not a repaired one. Also because of the manufacturing error you shouldn't be out of pocket to return the camera. Finally, you are only dealing either with Bestbuy where you got the camera, or with Kodak. It probably would have been best to take the camera back to bestbuy and let them handle it, in retrospect. However you have nothing to do with the repair company so Kodak should be chasing it up and you could sent them the receipts for the phone calls and shipping / handling. They could argue that the period between the fault occuring and sending the camera away was substantial which would weaken your case a little and add frustration for you so be prepared for that. Then there's the issue of any pictures that were on the camera that you sent off..

However I have no knowledge of US consumer protection.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 06:01 AM by justice »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 01:05 PM »
If you didn't already realise, it looks like you've just been sent a repaired model from someone else.

Yeah in my e-mail to them I said that if it was refurbished it was very misleading and unethical.

The rest of this post is how I understand things to be in the UK. Here in the UK, as within two months a fault developed with the camera, you can argue that the fault was a production fault and you should get a brand new replacement, not a repaired one. Also because of the manufacturing error you shouldn't be out of pocket to return the camera. Finally, you are only dealing either with Bestbuy where you got the camera, or with Kodak. It probably would have been best to take the camera back to bestbuy and let them handle it, in retrospect.

In the US, typically retail stores have a 30 day warranty where if a product fails within 30 days you take it back to the retail store you got it from. After those thirty days, most products have a 1 year manufacturers warranty, so you need to call the manufacturer for a replacement.

However you have nothing to do with the repair company so Kodak should be chasing it up and you could sent them the receipts for the phone calls and shipping / handling. They could argue that the period between the fault occuring and sending the camera away was substantial which would weaken your case a little and add frustration for you so be prepared for that.

Yeah, they could argue a lot of things, but even still the camera is within the 1 year warranty period. That's why I didn't have to pay for the repairs. But I did have to pay shipping, which involved insurance.

Then there's the issue of any pictures that were on the camera that you sent off..

There were no pictures on the camera when we sent it to them. We removed all accessories, such as the SD card, the battery, the wrist strap, etc. All we sent was the camera, and we hadn't taken any photos on the internal memory. I didn't even know it had internal memory until we got it back and snapped a few photos and videos testing it and realized it was out of space already.. And the camera hadn't even been in a Wal-Mart, especially not behind some counter snapping photos of nothing. It was like someone was just playing with it and took a couple shots like what you'd do with a camera that was on display out of box somewhere.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 03:13 PM »
And what does it say about the town you live in if there's not even a Wal-Mart there?

That the residents have critical discrimination?

Anyway, I might be able to find a "news on your side" but I'm not really sure if there is something like that in this area since I don't watch the news. Any tips on how I could find some consumer advocacy group in my area?

I think I'd look online, or through your local phone book, tosee if any such agencies operate out of your state capital (Boise I believe).
You could try contacting the Public Relations branch of Kodak and see if you make any headway there.
Again, though, how much of your life do you want to devote to this?  I'd let it go and move on.

ultimately I see myself walking away from this without much nice to say about Kodak.

Given the time that's elapsed and the distances involved, that seems the pragmatic choice.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 04:19 PM »
Have to agree with Chris on this one (about walking away) but would add that you can walk away with a lesson (that we should all take note of): always record the serial number of the equipment that you send off for repair. Prefereably a photograph. I don't know if this would have made a difference in this case or not, but it would bring peace of mind...

FWIW, I think that it is ridiculous to send you an item that has clearly been heavily used and soiled. If you decide to smear Kodak over this, they've brought it on themselves!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 04:28 PM »
Have to agree with Chris on this one (about walking away) but would add that you can walk away with a lesson (that we should all take note of): always record the serial number of the equipment that you send off for repair. Prefereably a photograph. I don't know if this would have made a difference in this case or not, but it would bring peace of mind...

FWIW, I think that it is ridiculous to send you an item that has clearly been heavily used and soiled. If you decide to smear Kodak over this, they've brought it on themselves!

I did record the serial number. It was required as part of the RMA process. That's why I became suspicious of receiving a refurbished product when I noticed the serial number sticker looked as though it had been peeled away. It has the same serial number, but it looks as though it may have been removed from my original camera and placed on a refurbished one. I'm also suspicious because of the work order saying what the problem was and what the solution was, it doesn't sound like what the problem was at all!

Of course, I can't prove that it's a refurbished model, but it is highly suspect.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 04:30 PM »
And what does it say about the town you live in if there's not even a Wal-Mart there?

That the residents have critical discrimination?
-cranioscopical (February 28, 2008, 03:13 PM)

;D I thought I might receive a comment like this after saying that.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 04:38 PM »
I did record the serial number. It was required as part of the RMA process. That's why I became suspicious of receiving a refurbished product when I noticed the serial number sticker looked as though it had been peeled away. It has the same serial number, but it looks as though it may have been removed from my original camera and placed on a refurbished one. I'm also suspicious because of the work order saying what the problem was and what the solution was, it doesn't sound like what the problem was at all!

That's even more disturbing. I guess you have to decide how big a fuss you want to make - to my mind it sounds as if you've had a substitute camera shipped back to you which is no doubt illegal - particularly given the attempt to hide the fact. The issue, though, is how do you go about fighting this? Chris' advice is excellent: contact a consumer advocacy group and find out what you can realistically expect to accomplish.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 05:11 PM »
Maybe we should start another thread to see who lives the farthest away from the nearest Wal Mart.  I am 45 miles.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 09:42 PM »
... a lesson (that we should all take note of): always record the serial number of the equipment that you send off for repair. Prefereably a photograph.

It's a very good point to make. Photos are good.
Where possible, engraving a concealed ownership mark onto an object is a good idea, too.
Didn't help Deozaan in this instance but...

Unfortunately the proliferation of email, voicemail, and internet-based communication bedevils a great many issues today. Warranty satisfaction is just one. It's far too easy for companies to hide behind such screens. Even some well-intentioned outfits seem to be disconnected from customers by what they must once have felt would be good tools to provide customer satisfaction.

OFW (old fart warning)
Spoiler
Veering off-topic here, the combination of increasing erosion of civil liberties combined with staggering levels of error in government data juxtaposed with the ever-increasing difficulty of contacting any party with initiative and authority (similar to what's been discussed in this topic) implies a problem of nightmare proportions for the 'guilty until proven innocent' world into which we're rushing headlong.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 01:37 PM »
Okay, well I fired off a scathing e-mail to test the waters and see what they would try to do to make it up to me. I basically just replied to everything they said in their last e-mail to me (the one I received after sending the e-mail I posted in the original post).

It was really nice because I was able to vent a lot of frustration, so if they screw up again, I'll probably just drop it.

If you're curious to read it, it will be embedded in the spoiler below. Oh, and I write my e-mails in plain text, so most of the time when I use CAPS it's meant as bold, not really shouting. :)

Click to see the amazing! The tranquil and peaceful Deozaan telling someone off!
Kodak,

After taking a few weeks break from months of your infuriating customer support, I have decided to write back and once more express my EXTREME DISPLEASURE with you and the way you treat your customers.

> We understand your concern and we know that this
> can be very frustrating on your part. We do apologize
> for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Oh you think this might be frustrating? Let's go over the track record so far:

I use the ITG but don't find any troubleshooting steps that matched my problem, so I tried what seemed to be closest to my problem. After failing to solve the problem, the ITG tells me to e-mail you. I do. I get an automated response that says I'll get a reply within 24 hours. I'm an understanding person when it comes to delays and expected that to really mean 24-48 hours. However, EIGHT DAYS LATER (192 hours) I finally get a response that tells me to use the ITG to isolate my problem. What kind of useless response it that? The e-mail you received from me included the form information from the ITG, very clearly stating that I sent you that e-mail from the ITG!

I e-mailed back and reminded you of these facts, to which I received a reply to call customer support. So I did. I talked to a support representative who didn't sound like she knew much about camera troubleshooting, in fact, we followed the exact same steps I took with the ITG. Yeah, that same one that didn't really match what the problem was. After that didn't work she took my information, gave me an RMA #, and transferred me to a recorded message with information about how and where to send the camera in.

So I listened to the very long recorded message about what to do and how to do it, and finally at nearly the very end of the recorded message it told me the address to send it to. To my surprise, the company I was sending it to wasn't Kodak. It was Teleplan International. And to my great dismay, I couldn't understand what the recorded message was saying and I couldn't even write down the address fast enough before it went on to the next part. So when the recording finished and gave me the option of repeating it, I repeated it. I needed to know where to send it to and I wasn't able to understand the company name and I wasn't able to write down all the address because it went by too quickly. So as I said, I listed to it again.

Once again I didn't understand the company name, but I got the address. So I repeated it again.

Once again I didn't understand the company name. So I repeated it again.

Again, I could not make out the company name. Finally I settled on "Teleprime International" and hung up the phone in utter frustration.

Do you know how long it took me just trying to decipher the company name? That recorded message is easily 5-10 minutes long, and the company name and address is at the very end, which means at best it took me 20 minutes before I gave up. At worst it took about 40 minutes before I gave up.

Already very angry about what has just happened, I go to my computer and find that all that information that was in the recorded message was e-mailed to me. If I had been informed that I would be e-mailed all that information, it would have saved me a lot of time and anger, and it would have saved YOU from part of my anger that you're receiving today.

So finally I got the camera sent in and after about 3 weeks it came back, fully functional as promised, but in a terrible, sorry state!

I can't even believe that it's the same camera I sent in! It was filthy. It has a deep scratch on it. There is crap underneath the glass screen that I can't get out without taking it apart. There were pictures on the internal memory that were taken at Wal-Mart (which I'll reiterate: THE CAMERA WAS PURCHASED BRAND NEW AT BEST BUY AND HAS NEVER BEEN TO WAL-MART UNDER OUR CARE!). The work order for what was wrong and what the solution was does not seem to match what I sent in the camera for. And to top it all off, it looks as though the serial number might have been peeled off the camera I sent in and stuck on this dirty, filthy, damaged camera!

But that's not even the end of my terrible experience with you guys.

I wrote in again to express my great displeasure with my service so far, and the reply I got was nothing. Just a blank empty e-mail message. Hey, that's an honest mistake. I've accidently sent off a blank e-mail before. But in the process of doing that, I notice what I've done and send off a real e-mail. I figured that is what you would do, so I waited, expecting a real response shortly. Finally after FOUR DAYS and no further correspondence with you my patience was ended and I told you that a blank e-mail is not a good response.

So do you think that by writing a couple of lines about how you understand my "concern" and that it might be a teensy little bit frustrating on my part, that, suddenly those words make me feel like rainbows and sunshine? That's a rhetorical question to which the answer should be readily apparent by this time in this e-mail.

> We will do our very best to help you.

I should certainly hope so! Unfortunately you have proven to me so far that most likely your best is about as close to absolute ineptitude as you can get.

> Feedback is very important to Kodak, so we thank
> you for taking the time to share your comments
> about the status of your camera.  With your help,
> we will be able to make our repair center aware of
> what has happened to your camera.  If you have
> other ideas, find any problems, have suggestions or
> comments, or just want to share your thoughts
> about Kodak products or services, please let us know.

I'm glad you feel that way. I bet you're thanking me for this right now...

So here are a couple more thoughts about Kodak products or services:

Your cameras suck. Over $200 for a brand new camera and it broke down in less than 2 months. I've gotten electrical gizmos with moving parts out of vending machines that lasted longer than that, and they only cost a quarter.

Your customer service sucks even more! Your ITG was worthless. Your e-mail support is practically worthless. Your phone support was only helpful in that it finally got me the information I needed to get the camera fixed, but absolutely frustrating in that I had to take at least 20 minutes listening to the same recorded message trying to understand what should be simple and painless instructions on how to send the camera back. And that's not including being on hold, getting transferred to the right people, and troubleshooting with the same worthless ITG steps before getting to that recorded message.

Finally, your repair center is absolutely terrible! In all fairness, the problem I sent the camera in for was resolved, but not without massive collateral damage.

> Your current comments are going to be seen by the
> right people and you can be rest assured, your voice has been heard.

If my voice was heard, I don't think it was understood. So I'm writing again with a louder voice.

> Now, with regard to your camera, we advise you to
> contact Teleplan International repair center directly by
> phone (1.956.843.6801) as it is very advisable that
> there is direct communication between you and Teleplan.

I believe this should be YOUR job, since YOU are the ones who subcontract your repairs with such a shoddy repair center! Why should I have to spend MORE time and frustration dealing with Teleplan? I didn't buy anything from them. I bought something from YOU. My warranty is with YOU. You guys are the geniuses who decided to use Teleplan to repair my camera, YOU talk to them and take care of this mistake.

> If you would like to resend your camera back to the
> repair center, then we need to inform you that if you
> are still within the 45 days from the date that you received
> your camera from the repair center, then you need to
> send back your camera to the same repair center for a
> repeat repair.

WHY ON EARTH would I want to send my camera back to the same place that mishandled, abused, and damaged it in the first place?

> You will not be charged for the repair cost for this.

I won't be charged for the repair cost? Oh thanks, that makes me feel so much better. Just like how I wasn't charged for the repair cost the first time. Well, you know, except for that little out of pocket expense called INSURED SHIPPING! But yeah, I see how it is. Try to make me feel better by telling me I'm getting something for free, then throw in the little fine print about how I still have to pay for shipping AGAIN.

Can you imagine someone buying a shiny new BMW, and in a couple of months the radio stops working, so they call the support number listed on the warranty, they tell him to take it to Hillbilly Joe's Garage to fix it and it is returned with a working radio, but also filthy, scratched up, and with a damaged interior? Do you think such a person would be pacified with the people he bought the car and warranty from telling him "We understand your concern and how this might be frustrating for you. Thanks for your feedback. Oh, and if you want this repaired, you need to talk to Hillbilly Joe's Garage yourself and take it back in to them for more work."

That is absolutely not acceptable!

> Please follow the link below for you to setup your camera for repair:
> http://www.kodak.com/go/itg

Oh great, another person linking me back to your worthless ITG.

> We are glad to be of service and are here for you if you
> need us in the future. If you do reply, please be sure to
> include any previous e-mail so we may assist you better.

Did you ever hear the saying, "Who needs enemies with friends like these?"

Alright, so let me summarize. Everything you've done for me has been terribly frustrating and unsatisfactory. My camera was brand new, and malfunctioned within two months of purchase. I should be entitled to a brand new, non-malfunctioning camera. Instead I had to pay to send my camera off to be mishandled (seriously, why take it to Wal-Mart?), abused, damaged, and with more problems I can't fix myself without voiding the warranty (opening it up to get that crap out from underneath the screen). And now you're telling me that I need to take more of my time and effort and send it back to that terrible place?

I don't think so!

YOU need to fix this with all the urgency your company can muster. If you can't do it, I need to talk to your manager. If your manager can't, I need to talk to his. Et cetera and so forth. I don't care if I have to talk to the president of Kodak. I've saved all my e-mails, I've got everything logged, I'm sure he'll be happy to accommodate a simple request like mine and just DO WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE. I've worked in customer service and technical support before. I know that the best thing a company has going for it is word of mouth. If you think the words coming out of my mouth (okay, being typed in an e-mail) that are being directed to YOU are unpleasant, you will not believe the things I'll say to everyone I know in person and in online communities.

[signature]

P.S. Now, I know that would be a great place to end, and you're probably wishing it was. But as I said, I've worked both in customer service and technical support and I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of an angry customer. I know that I've been harsh, but I would not have been if I didn't feel it was necessary to get my point across. I've already tried multiple times to express my displeasure with Kodak's service through more amicable means, but it just wasn't getting through. Understand that this is not to be taken personally. I have no qualms with you personally, and I really am sorry that you are the one who has to deal with this.

Please, just do what you need to do to fix this.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 02:19 PM »
I should certainly hope so! Unfortunately you have proven to me so far that most likely your best is about as close to absolute ineptitude as you can get.

Classic! Nicely done, Deozaan. I'm copying the text and will be modifying it to meet different needs over the coming decades - couldn't have said any of it better myself! Good job  :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 09:10 PM »
It's been nearly a month and still no reply to my e-mail demanding a solution.

BAD KODAK!  :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 09:35 PM »
Hmph!  Not unexpected but depressing despite that.

Could try shooting something directly to their corporate PR people if you can dig out the contact info but I still think that walking away is your best option.  A sign of the times, I fear   >:(

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 09:41 PM »
I have to confess I had similar experiences with Kodak a few years back and would never buy their products again.

I had (still have - though I don't know why) a camera that produced really nice photos but the battery life was rubbish and the shutter had a 3-4 second firing delay which meant you couldn't take action shots. Anyway one day it turned itself off and would not come back on again. I went through numerous phone calls untill I finally got an RMA. It was returned working but with a scratch on the body work. It had also apparently taken over 4000 photos while it was away - seems unlikely and I assume I was sent a different camera. A couple of months later the same fault appeared and I was told that my warranty had expired and they no longer make the camera.

I have another firend who had similar experiences with an Easyshare camera.

My advice is move on and save yourself the hassle. When you can afford it get yourself a Canon camera - they are excellent kit and the tech support is very good (at least in the UK). The iXus range is very nice for a relatively cheap compact  point and shoot digital. They also have the advantage that they support their cameras even after they stop making them!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 09:43 PM »
Hmph!  Not unexpected but depressing despite that.
-cranioscopical (March 26, 2008, 09:35 PM)

It was unexpected to me. I was at least expecting another lame "We understand that you might be frustrated" letter with no real action.

They did say they'd try to respond within 48 hours with their automated e-mail response.  :-\ I expected something lame and unsatisfactory, but I didn't expect nothing at all.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 09:50 PM »
Deozaan,

First of all, I really feel for you -- this behavior is inexcusable!

Second, I agree wholeheartedly with Carol: Go with Canon for your next digital camera.  After a series of Konica-Minolta cameras over the years (all of which were very nice, BTW), I have now purchased three different Canons and there is no comparison. Excellent in just about every way I could want!

Third.....  drop the email approach!  It's time to write a good old-fashioned letter.  Anyone can write an email and quickly send it off - and they do! Probably tens of thousands a day to Kodak alone. It's a bit much to expect that yours will make such an impression that it will get a reasonable response; that is, more reasonable than any of the others that pour in daily.  A letter typed neatly and addressed to as many of Kodak's management team, as well as their corporate officers, as you can identify, stands a much better chance of getting the attention of someone who can and will actually do something about your case.  Even better, if you took any pictures of the condition the camera as it was upon its return from that so-called repair shop, make sure to attach them to the letter.  (Assuming, of course, that you had access to another digital camera - a working one - with which to do that!)

It has worked for me too many times to be just a fluke!

Jim

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 02:40 AM »
Deozaan, i had been following this thread for some time and i feel very upset that the company has been dragging its feet for so long over this problem. but today i had the perfect opportunity to show my disapproval as i directed a colleague, who had been planning to buy a digital camera, to this thread and advised him to think carefully before committing to Kodak. he agreed that this is very sloppy for a internationally known brand and as a result, he opted to buy a BenQ camera. just a way of showing my support.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 03:23 AM »
Deozaan, i had been following this thread for some time and i feel very upset that the company has been dragging its feet for so long over this problem. but today i had the perfect opportunity to show my disapproval as i directed a colleague, who had been planning to buy a digital camera, to this thread and advised him to think carefully before committing to Kodak. he agreed that this is very sloppy for a internationally known brand and as a result, he opted to buy a BenQ camera. just a way of showing my support.

Glad to see that this may have helped someone else avoid similar circumstances.

A letter typed neatly and addressed to as many of Kodak's management team, as well as their corporate officers, as you can identify, stands a much better chance of getting the attention of someone who can and will actually do something about your case.  Even better, if you took any pictures of the condition the camera as it was upon its return from that so-called repair shop, make sure to attach them to the letter. 

It has worked for me too many times to be just a fluke!

Jim

Does anyone have any useful advice on how to get the names and addresses of management/corporate offices? The website is practically useless as far as I can tell.

My Kodak camera is my first and only digital camera I've ever owned. I didn't have any way of photographing it in the state it was in. The dirty fingerprint smudges and other minor things are gone, but there's no getting rid of that huge scratch across the surface of the device and of course the crud behind the glass.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 04:33 AM »
Does this page of any help?Also, have a look at the Executive Biographies page.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 04:36 AM by PhilB66 »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 11:17 AM »
Thanks Phil! Those pages are very useful for names. I wonder what address I can send the letter(s) to. I'll look around a some more.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 12:05 PM »
Try calling the Toll-free Customer Service line 1-800235-6325 for the mailing address... oh wait got one for you:

Mr. Michael Korizno
General Manager, Americas Region, Consumer Digital Imaging Group & Film, Photofinishing & Entertainment Group and Vice President
343 State St
Rochester, NY 14650
USA

E-Mail: [email protected]