topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: how to turn off XP's accessiblity options  (Read 6467 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
how to turn off XP's accessiblity options
« on: February 09, 2008, 03:39 PM »
I have been looking for a way to permanently turn off XP's Sticky Keys, Narrator, Magnifier, etc.  Since I work in a school and we have students using keyboarding software that require them to press the same key many times in a row.  I have went in and unchecked all the options, told it to ignore multiple presses of a key and those programs keep on starting.

Does anyone know of a way to keep these from starting?  I haven't found a way to uninstall them or keep them from installing in the first place.

Maybe this post is in the wrong place but didn't know where to place it.  Feel free to move it.

Dave

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: how to turn off XP's accessiblity options
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 06:19 PM »
Good question, Sticky Keys keeps returning me to the desktop when I'm playing something.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 09:32 PM »
I found this option just now but it doesn't seem to work very well. It has been serveral years since I have looked for a fix.  After deleting the folder in regedit but the "Accessibilty Options" in control panel still exist after a reboot.  and when I look at the registry key all that shows is the "Serial Keys".  I did try and so far nothing is coming on so maybe it is working. 

Removing Accessibilty Options forever
Posted 5/29/2004 by TweakXP Member

Forget the other tweaks that mask or disable the accessibility options only to allow it to run again once scandisk, windows update or another slip of the keyboard puts them into full swing and you are resting your finger on the shift key and ... never mind-

To remove the Accessibility options FOREVER-

1. Start button/ Run type in regedit

2. find HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Accessibility options

3. Delete the Accessibility Options folder.

NOTE- If you feel like there will EVER be a time you will need these features do NOT delete the folder-

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 04:24 AM »
Aren't you approaching this from the wrong perspective?

If you turn off the accessibility options how are users with disabilities going to be able to use the computers?

Shouldn't you be doing quick cards to put by the machines that guide users how to temporarily turn off the options while they're using software where the accessibility options clash?

And thinking longer term - you didn't really say what this software was but off the top of my head I'm struggling to see what the educational value is of a piece of software that requires users to press the same key many times in a row  :huh:  - unless it's some psychometric test to see how quickly they get bored with repetitive pointless tasks  ;)

I don't know what country you're in, but from a legal point of view have you considered whether or not you're breaking disability discrimination laws by having software that apparently can't be used by students with disabilities?

Apologies for opening up a can of worms for you  :D

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 06:34 AM »
From the wrong perspective... I don't think so.  This would be in a K-12 computer lab where students, mostly K-5, are using the computer to learn keyboarding or typing skills.  Most keyboarding programs require them to type a key multiple times in a row.  When these other options do start up it then causes the student other problems since the computer is not behaving the way its supposed to.

If we ever have a student with this type of a disability that would need one of these options, then all I would have to do is re-image the computer and then those options are back.  So I don't think we are breaking any laws (USA) since we do not have any students who require it.  We had a Kindergartner for a semester who had a severe handicap but it was too severe for her to do anything on the computer.  She passed away from these complications during her first semester.

Adults do not use these computers as they have their own to use.

No can of worms for me, glad you brought these to light.

Dave

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 12:03 PM »
To disable sticky keys, run this reg edit: http://www.kellys-ko...tickykeysdisable.reg
-Troubleshooting Windows XP

Study all of http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm  :up:

T-shooting > Tweaks, or Extras > Scripts, & Extras > Utilities, etcetera
kelly.gif
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 12:09 PM by Curt »