topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: timns' Sudoku  (Read 11937 times)

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
timns' Sudoku
« on: February 07, 2008, 04:40 AM »
Hello folks.

I just uploaded another free puzzle game at http://timns.dcmembers.com/Sudoku.html to keep http://timns.dcmembe...s.com/Deductoid.html and http://timns.dcmembers.com/CluGrid.html company.

No prizes for guessing what this game is all about. You've heard about it, you've seen it, you've played it out of obligation because it's supposed to make you clever...

I hope you enjoy my version of the game. It's standard stuff but you can print out the puzzles to play elsewhere, which is useful for those of you with a life away from the keyboard.

Thanks!

timns

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: timns' Sudoku
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 06:08 AM »
Cool!  Any chance of generating Samurai sudokus?

Kevin

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 07:01 AM »
Great hopping horny toads! I hadn't seen those before. I'll take a look at what it might entail, this weekend.

Thanks for the suggestion.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 10:53 AM »
If you check out www.djape.net you can see a bunch (takes a little looking though).  I think that guy has a program that generates the Samarai version, but he doesnt provide it.  Also, he makes sudoku X puzzles where the diagonals have to obey the rules....

Kevin

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 05:51 AM »
I just found and fixed a bug in the printing - sometimes the puzzle came out about the size of a postage stamp. Hopefully this is now fixed and you should get a decent page-sized puzzle to go.

timns

GaryD60

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 06:57 PM »
I just found this little gem and love it. But... the selection of new puzzles to work on could use some work. First the select random puzzle is not random at all, it picks the same puzzle(s) everytime. This is the same as clicking on any of the colored difficulty buttons. I wouldn't mind a simple progression if the program managed to remember the last puzzle selected and then the next click brings up the next in the list. But as it is I have to remember how many times to advance to get to a "new" puzzle.

Only other option I would like is an option to dispense with the selection wheel and let me enter the number directly.

Great program, thanks!

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 02:30 AM »
Thank you for your kind words. You're right - random isn't!

The problem is that of course I kick off the randomizer with the same seed every time, so that you can go to, say, "puzzle number 99" and know it's the same puzzle as last time you went to 99.

But there's no reason why goto random could not do just that!

I'll make a small change very shortly and re-upload.

timns