topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Opera M2 + Gmail + IMAP = not recommended  (Read 15879 times)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Opera M2 + Gmail + IMAP = not recommended
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2008, 08:15 AM »
The good news, it seems to be in order now. I'd turned off body downloading til it downloaded all the message headers -- the index taken care of, I re-enabled message bodies. I have not [yet] frozen. Progress!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2008, 08:20 AM »
Oh, now i understand what you mean by "bodies" :)

Yeah, i also downloaded the message bodies. I didn't find the option at first, though, and was opening the messages one by one. I eventually made an ahk script to do that for me and left it running for a few hours. When i found out about the option, i felt dumb :)

nontroppo

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 07:39 AM »
Update: here is a nice article from the chief QA tester at Opera for M2 on GMail's buggy IMAP support:

http://weblog.timalt...-imap-implementation

Tim also links to a wired article from the architect of IMAP on Gmails implementation:

http://www.wired.com...es/news/2007/10/imap
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 07:41 AM by nontroppo »

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 10:08 AM »
Thanks for the links -- I especially enjoyed the reading the first, which gave me a better working knowledge of the technicalities behind the workarounds I've already been employing.

I've finally got Opera/Gmail working together in a manner that, while imperfect and a bit limited, I'm generally satisfied with.

Mostly it's adjusting how I interact with it, not so much actual configuration.  I think what I'm doing now more or less accomodates gmail's quirks.

1) On the server, I removed all non-system labels. Opera's inline search is fast enough to negate the need for them anyway
2) Generally, I always work with the Imap folders, rather than Opera's 'unread'/'received mail' to avoid confusion.  For example, to maintain that I still have an inbox when I use the web interface of gmail, I don't auto-archive everything. Subsequently, every new message arrives twice--one for all mail, one for the inbox. So I read the Inbox folder for new mail.
3) When I'm done with a message in the inbox, I mark it as read and delete it.  The all mail copy still exists and will also be marked read (though opera is sometimes a bit slow to notice it's read; probably because of the size of my mailbase)
4) I never delete an item I want to get rid of, always drag to spam or trash from the inbox/all mail

Following those rules, Opera and GMail are getting along pretty well for the most part. Assuming there aren't horrible things happening in the background that I"m unaware of. (Lost items, duplicates, who knows?)