topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Deductoid puzzle game  (Read 29064 times)

drjdcollins

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Deductoid puzzle game
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 04:26 PM »
Just a screen shot of Sherlock to compare with Deductoid

sherlock.jpg

As a minimum Deductoid uses the same layout as a copyrighted game.

drjdcollins

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 05:29 PM »
s
10 years is quite a long time to spend solving a puzzle  ;)[/quote]

If you had been retired for 11 years due to chronic ill health you would probably be looking for ways to stop your brain from going to mush. As well as Sherlock I also play a lot of Everett Kazer's other very good logic games just to relax. I also do hard cryptic crosswords and program in mainly in Delphi. One of my programs I developed to help with cryptic crosswords (Word/Phrase search) has a database of over 1.5 million words and phrases and is light years ahead of anything similar released on the web. I would have released it years ago if I wasn't sick for at least a significant part of every day. I taught myself Visual Basic and then Delphi and a few others so I could program and keep my brain active. 40 years ago when I was doing my post doctoral research computing was done by carrying 4 or 5 boxes of punched cards to the mainframe to get the result back in a week. Computing was never mentioned let alone taught during my time at Uni.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 05:32 PM by drjdcollins »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 05:42 PM »
drjdcollins: Thank you for your (mini) biography!

For those (like me :) ) that have never heard of cryptic crosswords, here's the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia....i/Cryptic_crosswords

That's pretty impresive, those crosswords are VERY advanced, i had never seen such a thing!

About your program... If you think others might be interested in it, and you're not going to sell it in the future, maybe you could release it though DC, through a normal release or within one of our contests or challenges!

PS: how much time does it take you to solve one of those crosswords?
PS2: did you introduce all those 1.5mil words yourself?   :huh:

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 01:10 AM »
You're totally right about the similarity between Deductoid and Sherlock of course.

But the world needs a few variants on the same theme eh? Otherwise we'd all still be only playing one version of Tetris, Breakout, Doom, writing in WordStar, Bill Gates would be poor... and I for one would be out of a day job since I work on software which looks and works in a very similar fashion as other vendors' in the same industry. Only ours is better  ;)

I actually wrote my game from scratch based around yet another similar game from the old C-64 days, originally just to see if I could, since I program for a hobby as well during the working day as to pay for my Trotanoy. Then a few friends played it and made suggestions which clearly steered me in a better direction. I believe the phrase is "standing on the shoulders of giants"

Interesting what you say about cryptic crosswords - I do them too. Next project might be a cryptic crossword generator. In Delphi of course!  :Thmbsup:

Thanks for your comments.

timns

drjdcollins

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2008, 07:38 PM »
Re my game I did it for my own interest and to use myself. As far as the words are concerned I copied the first 800,000 in by hand from dictionaries and other books from 1985 to 1996 since I wasn't connected to the internet until 1997 after I retired. I have probably as large a collection of dictionaries, thesauri, encyclopedias, crossword dictionaries and English writing and grammar both printed and on CD as anyone. My count of just CDs is getting towards 100. I have picked up extra words from internet lists and other data available. Often I only get a few thousand extra words from a large list and have to sort out lots of spelling errors by checking each word. I usually send the list authors lists of spelling errors. For example I helped correct a lot of Wordnet early errors and got them to add British spellings. I have made sure my own list has all British and US spellings, all inflexions and compound words which may be one word, two words or hyphenated. When Moby's lists were released I found massive numbers of errors but little I didn't have. I have been building up lots of phrases by searching the British National Corpus using phrase word patterns. My list has words characterised as dictionary, encyclopaedic and technical, non-dictionary, US scrabble, British scrabble, common words, academic words, and so on so I can search sub-groups. I have many thousands of words I have not yet added because I have not sorted them out from the rubbish yet. I have been gathering information a very large net type thesaurus.

As far as releasing the program it is still a work in progress which I will probably never finish. Because of my illness I could never find the time or the energy that would be required to deal with the support required. I have tried interaction with people over the web on various projects but it took too much out of me. Just this little bit of interaction has been hard enough.

mahaal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 10:15 PM »
Looking at the screenshot I would appear to have been playing this game everyday for more than 10 years. Unfortunately it is called SHERLOCK see http://www.kaser.com/sherwin.html

I too have been playing Kaser's games since the good 'ol DOS days (got my first PC in 1986!).  My first game addiction was Kaser's Solitile for DOS.  Deductoid is VERY similar, but it is missing any kind of music  -- Kaser has added music to all his games.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2008, 02:04 AM »
That was the problem with those clunky old DOS games eh? No multitasking so music was a prerequesite.

But how about launching Winamp to go with your game of Deductoid, and enjoy the music of your choice?

timns

ps Have you noticed how all software mp3 players are VERY similar?  :D