topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Heap memory view  (Read 4942 times)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Heap memory view
« on: January 07, 2008, 09:43 AM »
http://www.sofotex.c...download_L76228.html

Does anyone understand or need this?

:tellme:

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Heap memory view
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 10:48 AM »
I particularly like "Filesize: 39" :-)

Other than that, I don't need it but I understand their claims of the capabilities of the program.

ChalkTrauma

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • ::41554D::
    • View Profile
    • DreamCycle Studios
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 02:19 PM »
I have used it a few times in desperation when hunting down memory allocation problems, especially when I'm pretty sure I have something stepping on a pointer I thought was good ( OUCH !! ).

Here is a pretty good explanation of the heap:

http://en.wikipedia....ic_memory_allocation

NirSoft has a lot or really good utils that can help out when you are in a pinch: HeapMemView, smsniff, GDIView and Regscanner are particularly useful. I actually keep the whole set of NirSoft tools as part of my dev tool set.. :)

Another good tool, along the same lines in a way, is ImageViewer; which lets you peak into your device contexts and image handles and see exactly what is in there. If you are doing any GDI work, it can really come in handy:

http://www.codeproje...ons/imageviewer.aspx  :Thmbsup:

'Behold! It is not over unknown seas but back over well-known years that your quest must go; back to the bright strange things of infancy and the quick sun-drenched glimpses of magic that old scenes brought to wide young eyes.'

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 06:44 PM »
You really ought to compile your debug builds of larger systems with a heap allocation debugging library... better than using external tools or doing post-mortem analysis.
- carpe noctem

ChalkTrauma

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • DreamCycle Studios
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 08:45 PM »
For large systems I usually use Paul Nettle's memory manager in debug builds. I have only used HeapMemView on smaller projects in the rare situation where I'm seeing problems in release builds and not in debug builds, but I agree with you, doing things post-mortem is kind of like locking the stable door after the horse has bolted  :D
'Behold! It is not over unknown seas but back over well-known years that your quest must go; back to the bright strange things of infancy and the quick sun-drenched glimpses of magic that old scenes brought to wide young eyes.'

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 07:12 AM »
For large systems I usually use Paul Nettle's memory manager in debug builds. I have only used HeapMemView on smaller projects in the rare situation where I'm seeing problems in release builds and not in debug builds, but I agree with you, doing things post-mortem is kind of like locking the stable door after the horse has bolted  :D
Paul Nettle's memory manager is pretty good for a free library, I've used it a bunch of times and it's really helped me out. (And ugh, paulnettle.com has moved entirely to flash, UGH!).
- carpe noctem

ChalkTrauma

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • DreamCycle Studios
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 09:18 AM »
Yea.. I use the fluid studios color picker a lot too, and when I went back a while ago to check for updates I found that they had moved everything to flash on both Paul Nettle's site and the Fluid Studios main site :huh:, it is so painful to get around...