topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Searching a commandline NNTP client  (Read 5229 times)

crono

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Searching a commandline NNTP client
« on: January 03, 2008, 07:52 AM »
Hi,

can you recommend a commandline NNTP client (or simply a script)? It should support downloading the complete messages, not only headers, and store it in a standard fileformat like MailDir, MBox or an DB like MySQL. I want to get rid of my news in Thunderbird and have a way to automatically download it via batch or some other scripting language. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance
Andreas

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Searching a commandline NNTP client
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 06:29 PM »
Are you after binaries, or just text?  Most of the command-line utils (nget) are geared towards downloading huge multipart binaries and assembling them for you.

Windows PowerShell (a free Microsoft download) has a command-line nntp client.  Since PowerShell is at its heart a scripting environment you should be able to put something together yourself; since the nntp client's in there it *has* to be scriptable.

crono

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 08:14 AM »
Hi Ralf,

thanks for the reply.

Are you after binaries, or just text?  Most of the command-line utils (nget) are geared towards downloading huge multipart binaries and assembling them for you.
I only need text - I found nget on Sourceforge and think it is really big into binaries.

Windows PowerShell (a free Microsoft download) has a command-line nntp client.  Since PowerShell is at its heart a scripting environment you should be able to put something together yourself; since the nntp client's in there it *has* to be scriptable.
I use Powershell alot, but never came across nntp-cmdlets. /n-Software offers 3rd Party nntp-cmdlets for 99$ but I think there isn't one built into PS. get-command and get-alias dont show me anything in this direction.

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 08:32 AM »
Yeah, the 3rd party /n-Software doohickey looks perfect, but you're right -- it's pricey.

Have you considered a Windows port of the unix apps Pine or xnews?  I'm certain they're out there.  You might have to use something like Cygwin (ick) but if you get the functionality you want it might be worth it.  And free.