topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Cell phones: The next frontier in ad business?  (Read 4377 times)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cell phones: The next frontier in ad business?
« on: January 01, 2008, 08:17 PM »
A new study by the consulting firm Deloitte draws a conclusion that scares the hell out of me: people is willing to watch ads in exchange for free content. OK, up to this point nothing new, right? The problem is that we're talking of the mobile phone space, and the long discussed idea of Google to deliver targeted ads. Ars Technica further develops the analysis on this possibility to a fearful scenario, which could be developed if people is willing to give out any right to privacy for free <insert your favourite thing here>. Add to that the open nature of a mobile phone, specially when coupled with certain carriers, and we have a wonderful future

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Cell phones: The next frontier in ad business?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 04:03 PM »
Doesn't surprise me - go out in London or Manchester on a Friday or Saturday night and you'll get more Bluetooth ads beamed at you than if you'd stayed at home watching Ant & Dec  ;)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 08:33 PM »
my telco's already bugging me with text messages containing ad/spam and i have to call them say i'm opting-out or else i'll be charged for those promotions!

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 08:50 PM »
Oh, fantastic idea. Sending ads to people AND charging them for it. Is there any idea to earn easy money telcos can't come up with? >:(