topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:11 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: KeyCounter  (Read 92777 times)

Robby250

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: KeyCounter
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 06:33 PM »
That works fine, and no I'm not familiar with AutoHotkey programming, but I can see how to add the letters I want and whatnot.
Trouble is, I don't know how to make it save the data recorded and load it the next time, or add modifier and special key counters.
Also, "." "/", quotation marks and probably more characters are considered illegal characters and I can't add them. I basically want kind of every key on the keyboard to be counted, like Keycounter does. Another difference from Keycounter is that I'd prefer it to count, for example, both "/" and "?" as one key.

If I don't know what I'm talking about and what I want is not possible with Autohotkey, I'm sorry. I don't really know what you can and can't do with it. The reason I want this is because I'm getting a new keyboard soon and I want to track from the beginning the amount of each physical keypress and total, out of curiosity, to see how much every individual key lasts, how huge the difference of key usage is, etc.

Edit: I've tried another software called Whatpulse and at first it seemed fine. Then I realized that it doesn't count alt+key combinations, so it's no good.

Edit2: Any help? Should I be posting this on Coding Snacks?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:33 PM by Robby250 »

allhannes

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 02:31 AM »
Dear skwire,

hope you are still active with this nice software. Same as StevenM I want to use KeyCounter for scientific purposes, since seperate counting devices are more than 600$ and we need at least three of it. Due to this special application I have two questions:

(1) Would it be possible to include kind of an "undo" function for the last count (preferably by an individual single keystroke on the numblock)?

(2) Is it possible to run this application with an external (wireless) USB numblock?

Great thanks and best regards
Johannes Roeb

CDN_Hammer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2019
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Thanks for this software. It is still working great with Windows 10 - with a catch. I also had to manually change the Key_Counts.lst.tmp file to Key_Counts.lst. Before this was done it would reset the count at each opening of the software, as well as require to re-select what keys were being monitored each time. After the change it works perfectly.

I also hit windows+R and entered shell:startup - then dragged a shortcut to the executable location into the startup directory to have it run on system startup.

First of all, I'm on Windows 7 32 bit, but I don't think that has anything to do with the fact that the keycounts are saved to a file named Key_Counts.lst.tmp instead of Key_Counts.lst. Now, I've changed it to the latter, and the keys are loaded fine and everything is well.

endelos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2022
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2022, 09:22 AM »
Thank you so much for this software, it's really useful and I love it !

As many before, I would be interested in a physical count because I often press some keys for a long time in some graphic softwares (for minutes sometimes), so the count of these keys explodes !

Otherwise, this software works great with windows 10 (I just had to change "Key_Counts.lst.temp" file to "Key_Counts.lst", but it's a little thing to do).

So, a huuuge thank you !