topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 10:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Product Key Explorer  (Read 8961 times)

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Product Key Explorer
« on: December 21, 2007, 11:06 AM »
Product Key Explorer scans your computer and locates activation keys, serial numbers, and registration information for software you've installed.

http://www.nsauditor...duct_key_finder.html

product_key_explorer.jpg

Once it populates its list (from a database of over 200 common applications) you can view, recover, or backup your keys.  Perfect for migrating to a new computer, or recovering from a crash.  It's not free ($24 USD) but there's a 15 day free trial if you're curious.

Other product-specific solutions exist, many of them free, but I've never seen a single comprehensive solution like this before.  If anyone tries Product Key Explorer out, please post your experience -- I'm very curious.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Product Key Explorer
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 06:07 PM »
I tried it five minutes ago, and it works well.

Only found 8 keys, though, so I removed it at once.

Edit: 8 keys including XP and IE
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 06:10 PM by Curt »

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 07:00 PM »
The Belarc Advisor does it all ... and much more ... and free!

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
TruckerJim says "You can go down a hill too slow a thousand times. But too fast only once."

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 08:39 PM »
Am I a lousy cynic, paranoid, or what?  I see these utilities, and I immediately think that if I run one on my machine, all my keys will be uploaded to some Chinese or Russian website.

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 08:50 PM »
No, you're an excellent cynic, paranoid. But what's the difference?

FWIW, I've been using Belarc Advisor for several years without the hint of a problem. Besides, it's a stand alone application. Relax and enjoy.
TruckerJim says "You can go down a hill too slow a thousand times. But too fast only once."

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 10:55 AM »
Belarc does a fine job and there are a couple more system info harvesters that came down the pike since Belarc.
Give them a shot. They are also free...........
http://www.gtopala.com/      SIW ... System Info for Windows

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php   PCWizard was just upgraded and CPuid offers other freeware that is also excellent.

Ralf's password finder looks like a real professional tool but a price tag prompts a rejection. There are other apps available for free that have managed to keep me out out of trouble for years. Magical Jelly Bean has never failed me and he an upgrade in beta that may be even better.

http://www.download....36.html?tag=pdp_prob     Magical JellyBean keyfinder

Magical Jelly Bean is at Download.com and I had to use the link above (for downloading problems) to get it. I also got the beta but haven't tried it yet.

BigJim, if you combine all the information from Belarc Advisor, SIW, and PCWizard you could write your Master's Thesis for a degree in computer science. That is, if you understand ALL that information and can explain it to me so I can understand it.

:-[

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 11:22 AM »
BigJim, if you combine all the information from Belarc Advisor, SIW, and PCWizard you could write your Master's Thesis for a degree in computer science. That is, if you understand ALL that information and can explain it to me so I can understand it.

I think that I understand most of what comes out of Belarc but not sure about some of the others. Everest is an high powered (and pricy) harvester which puts our reams of information much/most of which I don't begin to grasp.

One of the things for which I regularly use Belarc is when asked to help someone with their computer problems. It's a great way to find out where you stand right at the beginning of your troubleshooting efforts. Then you can get to work with your Revo Uninstaller, Registry cleaners, etc. I keep them all on a Thumb Drive for house calls.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 11:27 AM »
SIW reports the same sort of information as well. I've tried other "Registration Revealer" type programmes and none of them ever show, well, much of anything. SIW reports the keys for quite a few different apps (beyond MS) - this feature has actually proven useful a number of times.

Dang! Didn't notice that Cuffy had already mentioned SIW  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 11:29 AM by Darwin »