topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Parts Manual on CD thru TV?  (Read 3674 times)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Parts Manual on CD thru TV?
« on: December 19, 2007, 12:35 PM »
Does anyone know off hand if I can download a parts manual, burn it to CD, so my neighbor can view it on his TV?
They don't have a computer.
TIA

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Parts Manual on CD thru TV?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 01:03 PM »
If it's a small document (one page) any of the DVD burner suites can walk you through creating a DVD menu, usually the kind of thing used to launch a movie, jump to chapter, etc.  But instead of a menu, use the text/images from the manual.

If it's multiple pages, you can still do that -- but it would mean creating multiple linked menus in that same DVD suite.

Alternatively, you could drag each page of the manual into XP Movie Maker, and set a delay for each page.  Then compile it into a .wmv and burn THAT onto a DVD as a regular movie.  Then the user can pause/fast-forward/rewind the movie on their TV using a remote control.

But creating such a beast would be kind of tedious.

How about just printing the thing out?  Paper's kind of the universal data exchange medium.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 01:36 PM »
Thanks Ralf,

The parts list is about 3mb (xls) and I haven't downloaded all the schematics and diagrams yet. I think one of those Clymer Shop Manuals for about $20 is their best bet.
The guy's boss gave him a Makita Power Plant, 5700 watts, that you can hear clear over in Napa County..........
I'm not really sure I want to aid and abet???
At about $3.80 a gal for gasoline I'm going to recommend a candle if the power goes off.
Thanks,  8)

Cuffy

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 02:27 PM »
I may have posted this here previously but in case I didn't..........
http://www.mihov.com/eng/im.html

This is a freeware html index generator that I use frequently.
If you download a series of web pages you can index the pages with Mihov's index tool. I often compile the list and the index into an html help file (.chm)
The process Ralf discribed prior triggered this. Using the index and the back button to navigate saves coding all the links.