topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: My Latest Stupid Internet Explorer Question.  (Read 10181 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My Latest Stupid Internet Explorer Question.
« on: December 13, 2007, 02:48 PM »
I have my security settings in Internet Explorer 6 set at a level that is probably lower than it should be.  I just hate some of the warning messages and prompts that come with the higher stock settings.

To compensate - hopefully - I do have the Spywareblaster site blacklist updated and loaded at all times, and I am running NOD32 2.7 from Eset, but I still get warnings from some testing sites that IE is configured in an unsafe manner.

A few of the most annoying "security" features that IE blows my way when configured safely are the script debugging warnings and prompt to start a debugger, and the always so popular Mixed content warning.  You know, the one that tells you the site you are trying to go to has both secure and insecure content?  And it will not allow you to navigate there until you click saying it is OK and that you are an ignorant, non-security-minded oaf?  Well I have those all turned off in IE6's advanced settings.  Which is a risk I happily take - I don't feel that I need Microsoft, of all entities, minding my security for me.

However most applications that invoke IE as part of their standard operation still show these pain-in-the-rear-end dialogs, requiring me to act in order to let them run.  Most apps that invoke IE continually show the mixed content warning.  And FileHamster - a program which I really like and would consider purchasing the Plus version - pops up the script error dialog asking if I want to continue running scripts on the page.  And it gives me an option to... ugh... debug the script.  No, No, No!!  I NEVER want to debug a script! That will invariably open that dreaded (by me, at least)  MS MDM service - the Machine Debugging Manager service.  Once started, that service will simply not let go - ever - until I go into Services and manually stop it. But then it can be started at any time by other scripts, other applications. And it can really mess with programs that you don't want it to mess with. Anything it perceives as buggy will get a good going over to see if it needs to be debugged - MDM does not like to sit around idle all day, and it will get into trouble if given the opportunity.

Which is why I usually have the service disabled. I manually set it in Properties as Disabled.  But requesting something to be debugged overrides my setting and starts it right back up.  So, why would I ask it to debug something ever again, you might ask? When that dialog opens - the one that FileHamster causes to be opened - if it is behind something else when it opens and it tries to take focus but the very moment it does I am pounding away on the keyboard, typing into another program altogether - and it sees a key click on the Enter key as permission to go ahead and debug away....

Well that's usually how it gets started again - at least that's what I suspect.  Or it could be a little trick that Microsoft has played on me many times in the past:  It sends me a critical update and when it is installed it goes around and checks some of my settings and, yes, it changes them to what the Microsoft programmer thinks is best for my own - and the rest of the Internet world's own - good!

I guess I don't even have to say how much I HATE THAT!!  Sorry....  but does anyone here know a way to truly disable those IE warning dialogs in programs that invoke IE?  If so, I would greatly appreciate it if you would share!

Thanks.

Jim

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: My Latest Stupid Internet Explorer Question.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 08:56 PM »
i never get any confirmation box after disabled them somewhere in the options, tried to install FileHamster but it needs .net craps.

is there any way to get debug box beside using FileHamster?
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

e712

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Turn off debugging messages in IE7
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 09:27 PM »
From the IE7 Toolbar there are two check boxes to turn off debugging.
Goto Tools-->Internet Options-->Advanced.
In the second group, "Browsing"

I think some of the MS tools, when installed, toggle them off.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 10:06 PM »
i never get any confirmation box after disabled them somewhere in the options, tried to install FileHamster but it needs .net craps.

is there any way to get debug box beside using FileHamster?

Yes, but this is definitely FileHamster. Confirmed. Just wish I could find a way to shut it down in there, or it might have to go.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 10:07 PM »

In IE6 it can be done for the browser itself via IE Options>Advanced.  But when other programs use Internet Explorer within the application itself, I don't see anyway to disable it.

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 10:13 PM »
one possible solution is using ClickOff.

ClickOff has been written out of a personal need - like most programs here. Questions like "are your sure you want to exit the program?" made me go insane after having seen them a dozen of times. I found a program called "BuzOff" on a computer magazine CD-ROM which took care of this situation by simply clicking a button to close the window but it also displayed nag-screens which annoyed me as well. Being a programmer I just thought "you can do that yourself" and I started working on ClickOff. I started looking for functions that windows provided for clicking on buttons without actually moving the mouse and I was successful. Meanwhile ClickOff has been improved through bug reports and suggestions of new features that you sent me. ClickOff is supposed to be the swiss knife for window handling, not just a simple popup blocker. Just check the list of features:

Features:

* Automatically clicks button on error messages that come up all the time.
    * Fills in text
    * Closes browser popups
    * Minimizes or maximizes windows
    * Delay times can be set to allow user intervention
    * Single entries can be disabled temporarily
    * False clicks are avoided by taking the message text into the proccess of detecting.
    * To close windows that contain certain words, wildcards can be used
    * The scanning speed can be set
    * Can be disabled for a short period or permanently without having to be exited.
    * Has very low system resource needs, takes about 1 sec. to load and doesn't slow down the system while running.
    * Simple usage through hotkey support
    * Has language file support
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

nontroppo

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 07:59 AM »
Why is FileHamster triggereing IE at all - it doesn't here (I have Plus installed), do you use a specific plugin? Try posting that error on their forum, they're a friendly bunch ;-)

Another annoying thing IE does is trigger popups when it thinks a script has looped too many times, this can be fixed: http://support.micro...oft.com/?kbid=175500

FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 11:49 AM »
Make sure you have the two "disable script debugging" options under

turned on, like e712 said. This causes the popups. If you do web development you might like them off however, I have the same problem in Filehamster. This is definately the solution.

edit: oops clearly foggy and too late.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 03:30 AM »
Don't know why you're not seeing this, nontroppo.  Sounds like justice is though.

Here's what it looks like:

nontroppo

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 03:48 AM »
I don't see any errors on http://www.mogware.c...leHamster/index.html - it is google's tracking script IINM (perhaps geotargetted?). Anyway I'd suggest posting it on the mogware forum.
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 11:32 AM »
I don't see any errors on http://www.mogware.c...leHamster/index.html - it is google's tracking script IINM (perhaps geotargetted?). Anyway I'd suggest posting it on the mogware forum.

Actually it appears that this HAS been reported there - even the same Line Number incurring the script error. Looks like Tuckndar also reported it.

Here's the link to the thread:  http://support.mogware.net/index.php?topic=100.0

And it appears that since it is not a critical error Mogware decided to leave it alone! That's not a good thing!

Thanks,

Jim