topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: structured plaintextfile based note taker  (Read 45750 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: structured plaintextfile based note taker
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 03:04 AM »
thanks for trying, but i still have the same problem with the new script.

what have you got inside your working folder? perhaps it's something to do with the names of the files and folder i've used.

cedardoc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 03:19 PM »
It shouldn't have anything to do with that.  Mine works on multiple computers in differently named folders.  The only thing I can think of is to delete all the semicolons in front of the msgbox commands and see what they say and just tinker with it that way - that's how I got it to work in the first place.  The only other thing is I could upload the file if that's an option here.  Do you know how to do that?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 02:54 AM »
you can attach a file to your post by...

clicking the "reply" button (below right), i.e. don't use the quick post box below.

then to attach a file to your post, simply click on the "browse" button - and locate the file to upload.

that should do it.

here's a screengrab so you know exactly what you are looking for:
snap001.jpg

cedardoc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 11:55 AM »
Okay, here 's what I got to work on its own.  I had it in a bigger  autohotkey script and had to tweak it a bit to get it to work on its own for some reason.  I hope it works for you!!  Let me know.  If it doesn't, i'm not sure what to suggest other than I wonder if you have the latest  autohotkey installed?

Dave

cedardoc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 12:01 PM »
p.s.  I haven't really touched this in a long time, but this got me thinking, it would be better to make it assume ".txt" if you omit the extension when you write it... like [projects] becomes "projects.txt".  Right now, if you omit the extension it just asks what kind of program to use to open, but I can't get my computer to set a default application for files with no extensions.  If I ever get around to doing that I'll post it again (but don't hold your breath - I'm no programmer)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 12:41 PM »
thanks, that is working, cedardoc.

it looks like the problem was just due to my copy of autohotkey needed updating (sorry about that).

nifty program idea anyway. now to try and make a habit of using it.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 12:46 PM »
if anyone is willing, it'd be nice to make the script also work with notes outside of the containing folder, i.e. by using the standard paths for directories and files in windows.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 04:35 PM »
What i'm looking for could already exist, but i'm not sure how to find it.

a notetaker app that opens and structures a series of textfiles in a folder structure. At the moment most people either use software like onenote or evernote to keep all notes together, or plain text files scattered over their system. What I am looking for is to keep the flexibility of plain text (being able to edit/copy/rename/sync the node anywhere), but with some organising features - just some kind of tree structure where every node is an actual plain text file. Not the proprietary or database format used by all notetakers.

Quicknote comes close (http://www.quicknote.de/qscreensen.php), but i just want to use my own textfiles in it, not use quicknote to create them then save them to text files.

I hope I make sense, please tell me if I don't :D

Sorry about the thread resurrection, but I was looking for the exact same thing.
I found a good one: minipad2. It's really plain text, but you can reorder the nodes in the tree freely. (I wish more file managers could do this).

The default is to store notes in a db. but one can have virtual nodes that are real files. Also dragging and dropping a folder will create virtual nodes for all files inside it.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2011, 05:24 AM »
I'm using ResophNotes now and I'm completely happy. You can switch from the default DB to plain text files if you want (but I dont) and you can sync them to SimpleNote (web based note taker) which I do, plus it can parse to markdown (/ html) which is very handy.

This is great for the occasional notes and stuff I used to have disorganised in evernote, and things that convert to html like installation instructions. Everything structural I have moved to workflowy.com now.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2011, 11:53 AM »
I am not sure if you would be interested in this, but it does give you an app with a tree structure that translates into a folder structure on your hard drive, with sets of plain text files. It is very easy to add/remove files from it without even running the application.

It's meant for source code snips and formats them according to file extension, but it works well for normal .txt files, too. It also has graphical support for all your image based diagrams.

One of the reasons why I use it is because I don't want all my code snips jammed into a database. It is much faster and easier to share one by grabbing the file and uploading it to a webserver when necessary.

Developer's Tips & Tricks

dtt.pngstructured plaintextfile based note taker