topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Another Directory Opus issue... Care to try reproducing this one too?  (Read 7394 times)

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I guess I have an amazing knack for uncovering software problems.  Not that this is a good thing.  But I still can't get a job as a software tester.  Go figure.

Anyway, I'm using Directory Opus 9.0.0.9 under WinXP.  Since I am a new user, I found myself creating a bunch of favorites.  I noticed that at some point, DOpus began doing something strange with the favorites as I'd add them: I'd tell it to put it in one favorites group, but instead of putting it in that group, it would create a new group of the same name, with the new group a subfolder of another group, and put the new favorite there instead.

The author said he could not reproduce this problem.

So, I turned once again to my trusty VMware, and a 100% clean copy of WinXP.  I reproduced the issue immediately, and made a video of it.  The attached ZIP archive contains an AVI file that uses the standard Microsoft Video 1 codec.

I begin with two groups of Favorites--one is named C: and the other is named D:.  In the video, you can very plainly see what happens:

1. I select a folder in the tree, then select Favorites > Add to Favorites.

2. I very definitely select the D: group (at 00:03 for those following along), and click OK.  You can see in the video at this point that there are no other groups present.

3. I go to Favorites > Edit Favorites, and find that rather than having the new favorite placed in the D: group I selected, DOpus has created a new group named D: (under the preexisting group named C:), and placed the new favorite there.

Can anyone else reproduce this?
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »

suleika

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Another Directory Opus issue... Care to try reproducing this one too?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 08:23 AM »
I managed to replicate this but only when I called my branches "C:" and "Q:" instead of "C" and "Q".  Try removing the colons and see if the problem goes away.

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 10:20 AM »
I managed to replicate this but only when I called my branches "C:" and "Q:" instead of "C" and "Q".  Try removing the colons and see if the problem goes away.

Thank you.  I was very specific because I'm trying to establish that a bug exists.

I just found that if I add a space after the end of the group names (i.e. "C: " and "D: "), DOpus creates two new groups when I add a favorite.

If anyone else would like to mention whether they could reproduce this, I'd appreciate it.
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 10:25 AM by Scott »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 10:50 AM »
I'll do this this afternoon, Scott - I have to run out to sub a first year class in criminology. I know next to nothing about criminology other than that staying on the right side of the law is good and straying from that position is bad... Gulp!

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 11:28 AM »
I can confirm that it does it for me too with DOpus 9.0.0.9

Personally I think it is a bug in the branch creation as it should not allow : to be used in the name.

Interestingly if you select a folder and then go Favourites > Add to Favourites ... and use "New Branch" button it will not allow you to use the : character.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 11:31 AM by Carol Haynes »