topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Find and replace from text file? Or similar?  (Read 9680 times)

Mandork

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Hopeless or hapless?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Find and replace from text file? Or similar?
« on: November 25, 2007, 04:09 PM »
I might be being really dense, but it seems that none of the find and replace utilities that I have looked at do quite what I want.

I would like to be able to define a list of standard replacements to make and then store it somewhere, so that when I have a file that I need to do multiple replacements on I can just run it, rather than doing find-replace over and over. 

The particular application:  I have a very long BibTeX file (3500+ entries), some of which are written using the LaTeX codes for characters, and some of which have characters that I put in using ASCII codes, or whatever the places I imported them from used.  Some of them are causing problems when I try to compile the document, and I would like to go through and replace them all with the codes.  I anticipate having to do this more than once, so it would be nice to have a ready-defined list to run.  It only needs to be one file at a time.

The list would be something like:
find  replace
á      \'{a}
Á     \'{A}
é      \'{e}

And so on.  Lots of programs seem like they will do this, but I can't figure out how to avoid typing in the list over and over again.

Sorry if it is a dumb question...
Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
Pablo Picasso

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Find and replace from text file? Or similar?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 04:29 PM »
try InfoRapid Search & Replace

after you make a search it is available in the dropdown menu, you can right click on a file or folder to search too.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 04:45 PM »
My Seeker application can be driven by a command line and search/replace's can be stored in a file.  So you can recall a file to perform a common search and replace.

Seeker:
http://www.veign.com...cation.php?appid=104

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 05:38 PM »
Take a look at ReplaceEm, I think it does exactly what you need. The list you described can be saved as a group and reused.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 08:23 PM »
try InfoRapid Search & Replace
That looks nice kimmchii. I'll have to check that out. When I was reading up on it I also saw their InfoRapid KnowledgeMap which looks pretty neat. It would take some time to check that out, but I have bookmarked it for later.

InfoRapid KnowledgeMap is a complete Knowledge Management System suitable for use at home, at work or on the company intranet. The suite consists of two components: an image-editing (drawing) program for creating graphically sophisticated mindmaps, and the intelligent KnowledgeMap server, which analyzes text document content and integrates it with a knowledge map.

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]
[attachthumb=#2][/attachthumb]
[attachthumb=#3][/attachthumb]

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 01:58 PM »
Surf to Eric Pement's home page.  Click the SED link from the main menu, and when it loads, page down to the section on command-line search-and-replace tools.  He says, very succinctly,  more or less everything that needs to be said on the subject, unless you like DOS applications, in which case you need the Free Software for DOS home page as well.  If you're attracted by MiniTrue, don't overlook Eric Pement's supplementary page of tricks and traps with it.

imtrobin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 09:22 PM »
http://helpware.net/FAR/

You save the filters and can run them all in a batch. I use it to remove pesky javascripts before compiling to chm