topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DefenseWall HIPS - My system crashed when downloading a trial copy  (Read 3595 times)

Lightening

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm not a computer techie and I am not blaming anyone or anything.  And I know things happen all the time.  However, when I followed the links from the DC site to download a trial version of DenenseWall ...  all was well until the system needed to reboot to activate the software.  When the system just could not reboot, it just never started again either, except as a contant reboot try, which it couldn't do.   So after doing a diagnostic, etc, I had to do a system recovery.  I have an HP slimline which is new and works exceeding well and has 90% of its memory left.  I use Windows XP Media edition and Internet-explorer.  Anyway, just FYI for someone else who may try to download a trial version of DefenseWall. Thanks.   >:(

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: DefenseWall HIPS - My system crashed when downloading a trial copy
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 03:47 PM »
Holy smokes, that's not good.  Since the link worked and your download completed, it wasn't the download operation per se that hosed you.  Had to be what was downloaded and installed.

I can see two possibilities why this might've happened...

1. The downloaded file got corrupted, and installed a damaged .exe that failed to work upon boot.  This is unlikely, because installers perform integrity checking and should stop the process if the file isn't 100%, but I've seen some weird things before that simply shouldn't happen.  Worth a mention.

2. You may already be carrying some kind of malware infection, and it conflicted with the new protection you were installing.  Could be an event triggered by the infection (some malware is "product aware" and targets specific software) or just the new .exe files being infected while they were booting up for the first time.  System Restore would have replaced the damaged files with working, but possibly still infected versions.

Don't mean to alarm you, but it might be a good idea to do a deep scan of your system with the antiviral of your choice.  Even if I'm completely wrong it wouldn't hurt and would give peace of mind.  I just find it peculiar that an *anti-malware* package failed to install properly and in that fashion.  That's quite a coincidence.

Ilya Rabinovich

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DefenseWall HIPS - My system crashed when downloading a trial copy
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 07:44 AM »
MaceAnton, just go to your %windows directory%\minidump folder, zip all the .dmp files here into one file and send it to me to support [at] softsphere [dot] com. If you will find no minidump files here- mail me and I'll send you current build of the driver with all the instructions you'll need. In case it won't helps- I'll send you a test drivers set.