topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for RAM disk software for 64bit XP  (Read 6208 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Looking for RAM disk software for 64bit XP
« on: November 22, 2007, 09:25 PM »
And while I'm at the "ask the fellow DC members for software advice" game, here's another one: RAM disk.

Back on Win9x, I used a piece of software called "vRamDir" (now discontinued). It's basic idea was that instead of creating a fixed-size RAM disk, you specified some folder locations, and it would do what it could to keep the contents of those folders entirely in RAM; it was volatile in the same way as a RAM disk that files wouldn't be saved to disk (although it could use paging file in low memory situations). The advantage was that memory usage was dynamic.

I've never found anything like it for NT based systems :(

If something like this indeed doesn't exist, I'd like at least a decent RAM disk. I want to be able to add or remove RAM disks while windows is running (no reboot), and that's about it - but any additional features would be cute enough.

I used some trial version of a RAM disk once, but it seemed very hacky - for formatting it invoked format.com (slow, no progress bar), and it seemed extremely basic and had a pricetag that didn't match featureset...

Obviously I need 64bit XP support, since I've just installed that :)
- carpe noctem

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for RAM disk software for 64bit XP
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 12:09 AM »
Ah, this one's easy.  Solid, reliable, volume-filter based with both command-line and GUI control.  64-bit.  $49 to buy, free trial available.

http://www.superspee.../desktop/ramdisk.php

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for RAM disk software for 64bit XP
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 07:42 AM »
Ah, SuperSpeed was the "very hacky" product I mentioned above :)

Dunno about the pricetag, I'll have to take a look at the Windows DDK and see if it indeed does have a RAM Disk sample or if I'm remembering wrong, and how it compares to SuperSpeed (ie., have they basically just added some client utilities and haven't done much driver code?).
- carpe noctem