topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: dumb VISTA lost my drivers  (Read 3177 times)

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
dumb VISTA lost my drivers
« on: November 08, 2007, 11:35 PM »
About two weeks ago, my 3 months old Gateway Vista laptop took a dive towards its grave.
While I was at work, my wife used it in the morning to check her email. Then later around noon, it would not power on, and when it did, it was a BSOD.
She took a camera phone pic of it, sent it to me at work, then left it as it was. I got home from work (terrible day) and didn't bother tinkering with it.
She powered it off and successfully powered it on the following day, while I was at work. Then again, it stopped working. This time, it appears to be stuck on a black screen while booting up.
She left it that way, and called Gateway Support. Their tech guys must be terrible. She says they offered to repair it, after not much trouble shooting, and they said they would send a packing box to have her send the laptop to them via DHL Shipping - paid both ways by them. hhmm, nice, eh?!
After the third day of malfunctioning, it seemed to be okay! Well, it seemed to be.
I decided that sending the laptop to them would not work well for me.

I had to reinstall most of my software that I downloaded (I had backup URLs and stuff saved to a TiddlyWiki file, so that was no trouble, just time-wasting), including FF and all extensions, DonationCoder apps, etc.
Then when I tried to use my Cruzer Mini 2GB stick, it wouldn't pick up.
And my wireless mouse was not working either. I checked both the mouse and USB stick on my XP desktop, and they are fine.

My question:
1. my wife mentioned she read some article about Vista PCs worldwide suffering Windows Update errors ... ya think this affected mine?
2. how can I get my cruzer mini and mouse to work again?
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
Re: dumb VISTA lost my drivers
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 11:42 PM »
Oh, if the mouse came with a CD to install something ... I dunno. My wife doesn't recall a CD in the package.
She bought it for me as a gift.
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____