topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:13 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: these new cheap core 2 due laptops - any good?  (Read 35132 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: these new cheap core 2 due laptops - any good?
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2007, 06:58 AM »
Thanks for that, Jammo. Sadly, with so many people (apparently) wanting to upgrade Vista to XP, XP prices probably won't come down anytime soon... I *wonder* if one could buy the XP UPGRADE disc instead of the full version? Save you some money if that was possible.

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2007, 07:25 AM »
I believe Microsoft allows you to transfer licenses for XP from machine to machine.  Just uninstall it from the old one and do a fresh install on the new.  So long as the license is in use only once they shouldn't care.  Product Activation will occur, but it's a legit situation.

Unless it's a bizarro tablet or contains unique hardware (fingerprint reader) most of the device drivers should work.  Some may be the generic Microsoft drivers but they do work well.

All that's assuming you HAVE an older XP install laying around unused, that you're replacing a PC and not adding a 2nd one, etc. 

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2007, 07:38 AM »
Good point, Ralf. In my case, I have two XP install disks but both, sadly, are OEM (HP/Compaq and Gateway). So... I wonder if buying an HP or a Gateway would be the way to go - ie, would the disk install on the newer machine?

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2007, 07:54 AM »
Good point, Ralf. In my case, I have two XP install disks but both, sadly, are OEM (HP/Compaq and Gateway). So... I wonder if buying an HP or a Gateway would be the way to go - ie, would the disk install on the newer machine?

From a technology standpoint, it should work fine.  The motherboard and chipsets on the newer PCs *have* to be backwards compatible with older hardware to keep the corporate customers happy.

Device drivers should be the only concern, especially if they are HP or Gateway proprietary.  Unless they make XP drivers the Vista ones probably won't work.  The main reason I stopped buying HP and Gateway is the fun games they'd play with their proprietary hardware.

If this was going to be my primary laptop and not a project computer, I'd err on the side of caution and buy last year's model from close-out with XP pre-installed.  On the other hand, if you're willing to experiment (and HAVE the Vista media; sometimes they don't supply it) it could work out fine.  I've gotten XP to install on some machines I thought would never work.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2007, 08:12 AM »
Hmm... thanks for the pointers, Ralf. Too bad my XP Pro disk is for the Gateway machine  :( Oh well... I'm in no rush to upgrade my hardware now, anyway. Going to 2GB RAM on my Gateway notebook has give it legs I never thought possible so for the near future I'll stay where I am. Nice to know that I *might* be able to upgrade to XP (without having to pay through the nose for it) on a new machine if disaster strikes one of my current notebooks..

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2007, 08:19 AM »
I am running Vista Business on AMD64X2 4600 and one GS 7300 and 2GB memory - identical to fOdder's machine.  This machine has a 10,000 Raptor Hard Drive and is the SMOOTHEST, most comfortable OS I have ever used for browsing.  Everything serious gets done on my XP Pro.
As was mentioned earlier, the SPEED of Hard drives is something that never occurred to me. For a battery powered laptop it would seem extremely important as long as there were not significant power requirements.
-terribleterryc (November 05, 2007, 10:13 PM)
You have a slightly faster CPU, a somewhat slower graphics card, and the same harddrive... how can you say Vista is the smoothest and most comfortable OS? O_o
- carpe noctem

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2007, 12:08 AM »
BTW ralph, do you completely discharge your battery before putting it in the freezer, or do you instead charge it ?

Thanks in advance...  :)

bumpy bumpy bump.

Darwin? Ralph?

Sorry, been out of town.  Shouldn't matter -- charged or uncharged.  Just enclose it in a ziplock to prevent condensation, throw it in there overnight, and let it warm up a bit the next day before charging.

The warm-up, as I understand it, isn't strictly necessary but kinder to electronics that you want to keep for awhile.  Kind of like starting your car on a sub-zero day.  In the case of a sticky harddrive as described above, I'm guessing you probably WANT the induced hyphothermic shock to wake things up.

Thanks Ralph!!  :)