topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 8:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Directory Opus 9 - How to..?  (Read 16744 times)

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Directory Opus 9 - How to..?
« on: October 01, 2007, 05:28 PM »
Ever in need of customization, ever clueless about how to do it... I want Opus to display the bit rate of music files when I look at folders with music in them, and only then. I have automatic content type detection turned on, but I don't see how I can tell Opus to display the bit rate column only when the music content type is triggered.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Directory Opus 9 - How to..?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 06:21 PM »
It doesn't just give bitrate but try setting the lister to "Details" format (right click View > Details) and then right click on the heading columns and include description. That seems to include the bitrate (at least for MP3 files). You may need to drag the column wider to see them.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 06:27 PM by Carol Haynes »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 06:24 PM »
Assuming you're using Dopus 9, right click on the column headings in the lister, select More from the context menu that appears, under Columns in the dialogue should popup, select Music from the pull-down men and then select Bit Rate and click on the right arrow to add it to the columns that are viewed. Click OK out of there and you *should* have achieved what you are after...

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 06:32 PM »
What Darwin said is correct but I'm curious as to why you come here for DirOpus questions. They have a very good and very active help forum on their site.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 06:50 PM »
Assuming you're using Dopus 9, right click on the column headings in the lister, select More from the context menu that appears, under Columns in the dialogue should popup, select Music from the pull-down men and then select Bit Rate and click on the right arrow to add it to the columns that are viewed. Click OK out of there and you *should* have achieved what you are after...

Why is it with DOpus I never see the wood for the trees ;) I didn't even spot there was a pull down menu there.

Now how do you add that column header in "My Music" and apply it automatically to all subfolders recursively?

'edbro' I'd guess he asked 'cos he's here and he knows there are a lot of Dopus users around on the forums.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 06:53 PM by Carol Haynes »

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 07:15 PM »
It doesn't just give bitrate but try setting the lister to "Details" format (right click View > Details) and then right click on the heading columns and include description. That seems to include the bitrate (at least for MP3 files). You may need to drag the column wider to see them.
Yup, that works, and description is rather handy, but I have more on this. Keep reading.

That's the way that I used, precisely. I knew how to get this.. which isn't to say I don't appreciate the description you gave, but what I'm looking for, ultimately, is how to make Opus REMEMBER this setting. In other words.. whenever I'm looking at a folder full of music files, I want to see the bit-rate, or even description because I kind of like the latter even better. I don't have to see description always, (though I suppose it wouldn't hurt, either), but only when I'm looking at folders with music in them.

Not sure if I'm being clear enough, but this example should clear it up. Say I'm looking at a folder of an album on my HD. I now follow enable description or bit rate as a new column in the view. Great. I see the info I want to see. Now I navigate to a different folder to do something else.. or even a different folder of a different music album. Oy.. the description/bit rate column is gone. How do I make it stick? I want Opus to show description/bit rate when I look at folders with music in them. That's as clear as I know how to describe it :)

Carol, about the recursive subfolders question.. it's all in there. Right-click the column header and you'll see this: http://screencast.com/t/FlRvERtki
Oh, and Carol's response to edbro is dead-on.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 07:25 PM »
Thanks moerl - I'm blind as a bat as usual  :-[

Hmmm doesn't work for iTunes files.

Strangely it doesn't work for Audible files in my iTunes library - but I have Audible files duplicated in my WMP library and in there I get the bitrates! Odd, they should be the same files  :tellme:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 07:30 PM by Carol Haynes »

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 07:48 PM »
That's the way that I used, precisely. I knew how to get this.. which isn't to say I don't appreciate the description you gave, but what I'm looking for, ultimately, is how to make Opus REMEMBER this setting. In other words.. whenever I'm looking at a folder full of music files, I want to see the bit-rate, or even description because I kind of like the latter even better. I don't have to see description always, (though I suppose it wouldn't hurt, either), but only when I'm looking at folders with music in them.

To have bitrate (or any other column header for that matter) automatically applied for music folders, open preferences and go here:
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5481/preferencesdirectoryopuqc1.png

Double-click Music and you'll see this familiar dialogue:
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5706/musiceditformatha3.png

Hope this helps :)
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 09:40 PM »
Dirhael, that's PRECISELY the answer I was looking for. THANK YOU!

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 09:51 PM »
Dirhael, that's PRECISELY the answer I was looking for. THANK YOU!

Just happy to help out a fellow Dopus user :)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 03:22 AM »
I must sit and play with DOpus more! Thanks

Black Mamba

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 03:47 AM »
I'm still very new to Opus and I can't get this one to work: how do I rename multiple files at the same time? I need all the files to be renamed, not just the first one.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 06:01 AM »
I'm still very new to Opus and I can't get this one to work: how do I rename multiple files at the same time? I need all the files to be renamed, not just the first one.
Select the files, then do File > File Commands > Rename. The button on the toolbar next to the delete button (the one with the red cross) on the left is a shortcut to the same command. However your pointer over it to see what left-clicking and right-clicking does. Left-clicking would be the same command as the one I pointed out first (by going through the file menu).

Black Mamba

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 06:15 AM »
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough: how can I rename those files simultaneously to a new name? Or you can call it batch rename. I just want that all files in that pic to be called a.pptx, a.rtf, a.txt and so on.

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 06:59 AM »
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough: how can I rename those files simultaneously to a new name? Or you can call it batch rename. I just want that all files in that pic to be called a.pptx, a.rtf, a.txt and so on.

The simplest way in your situation:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 07:02 AM by Dirhael »

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 03:22 PM »
Eh? That's what I meant, too. I described how to get to DOpus' advanced file renaming utility, which includes batch renaming in more ways than you can even imagine. It's so sophisticated I barely know how to use it.

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 04:34 PM »
but what I'm looking for, ultimately, is how to make Opus REMEMBER this setting. In other words.. whenever I'm looking at a folder full of music files, I want to see the bit-rate, or even description because I kind of like the latter even better. I don't have to see description always, (though I suppose it wouldn't hurt, either), but only when I'm looking at folders with music in them.
The Folder Formats FAQ over at the Opus forums is well worth reading as it explains this and a bunch of other essential things.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 04:27 AM »
but what I'm looking for, ultimately, is how to make Opus REMEMBER this setting. In other words.. whenever I'm looking at a folder full of music files, I want to see the bit-rate, or even description because I kind of like the latter even better. I don't have to see description always, (though I suppose it wouldn't hurt, either), but only when I'm looking at folders with music in them.
The Folder Formats FAQ over at the Opus forums is well worth reading as it explains this and a bunch of other essential things.
Noted, thank you. I'll take a look when I find the time.