topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Can you recommend Selkie Rescue Data Recovery??  (Read 21590 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can you recommend Selkie Rescue Data Recovery??
« on: September 26, 2007, 08:43 AM »
Even with a 51% Bits du Jour discount Selkie Rescue Data Recovery is still $49 (normal: $99), so because my budget is tight  I am bound to ask  if any of you guys and dolls can recommend this program? I have never heard of it before today, and it is hard for me to understand any of how it works. Do you know?

Edit: It turns out they have an okay demo video (8MB wmv), telling how it works

SelkieRescue3D300px.jpg

http://www.bitsdujou...index.aspx?review=43
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 09:21 AM by Curt »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can you recommend Selkie Rescue Data Recovery??
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 08:50 AM »
Curt, I've not tried this but there are excellent options in the $49-69 range. I'd download a few trials and see what you think. I use both RecoverMyFiles and Restorer2000. There is also File-Saver which I have used in the past and found perfectly adequate. It permanently on sale for around $20 or less. The attraction for me of RecoverMyFiles is its ability to preview the files it finds for recovery. This is handy when you're looking for things like photos on corrupt media, for example.

Most, if not all, of the features that Selkie lists to rationalize purchasing their product are available in each of the three that I've mentioned.

EDIT: Note that previewing images is a feature that both Restorer2000 and File-Saver are capable of... RecoverMyFiles previews Office documents, pdfs, and other file types as well.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 09:03 AM by Darwin »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 09:27 AM »
As I have added to my first post, they have an okay demo video on how the program works (direct link: 8MB, WMV). But speaking of videos, you really should take the time to watch this other promotion video, it is quite entertaining!

Both videos are placed at http://www.tugboaten...prises.com/index.php

selkiedame.gif

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 09:40 AM »
@ Darwin - thanks for telling!

However, the big question inside my head is if the program will resque those files that were saved the normal way in Explorer (but are now untouchable because Explorer is crashing), or if it merely will save those files that have been deleted. To my (lack of) understanding, the programs you were telling about, will not offer to give me back all these "normal saved" files, will they? And: will Selkie?

:tellme:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 09:43 AM by Curt »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 09:50 AM »
Reading through the stuff at www.tugboatenterprises.com I have no idea what the product really does, except that it can boot from a CD/DVD and has network access - it doesn't actually tell if the application does recovery, or it just lets you copy files off a (uncorrupted) partition. The pages are also a bit too much for-dummies and buzzwordy, reminds me a bit of www.grc.com even though not that bad.

It's definitely not something I'd buy without checking the demo first.

EDIT: added the missing "not", thanks Curt :)
- carpe noctem
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 05:41 PM by f0dder »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 09:56 AM »
It's definitely something I'd buy without checking the demo first.

- maybe a word is missing, f0dder? in the negative ??  :P

--

My problem on this matter is that my CD drive temporarily is out of order,
but I have to buy this program TODAY  if ever.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 03:16 PM »
...the big question inside my head is if the program will resque those files that were saved the normal way in Explorer (but are now untouchable because Explorer is crashing), or if it merely will save those files that have been deleted.

Restorer 2000 and RecoverMyFiles will recover files from corrupt media (not so sure about File-Saver but don't see why not). If i scan for deleted files on my harddrive, both tools give me a list of files that are still there, if I want them to...

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 12:17 AM »
From what I can tell, it just lets you boot a computer that is having system problems and access files on the discs.  It looks like something you could do with a BartPE disc.

Carl

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 11:47 AM »
... looks like something you could do with a BartPE disc.

I have the UBCD4WIN but have so far only used Bart to create a new Installation CD. I didn't understand that I could use it for this other purpose too.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 12:19 PM by Curt »

Selkie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Selkie Rescue
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 05:22 PM »
Hey guys,

We read your comments on Selkie with a lot of interest, and will use the editorial input on the website for our rewrites (underway) - so thanks.

The other software you are discussing doesn't quite do what we do - we have an automated system for your crashed computer that creates a file share, identifies your network, and moves your files quickly and safely to a working computer. I don't want to make a big pitch here but I do want you to know you can always ask us through our contact forms or our forum. We're VERY friendly. We also offer a money-back guarantee.

And Curt, we've got a way you can get around the time limit for a few more hours (it's very sneaky!). Try this: http://www.bitsdujou...&secure=Tu24Se27

Glad you like the cartoon. It's important to have a bit of fun.

We have a guy named Curt at the office - we're partial to Curts.
make it count

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 05:47 PM »
Hi Selkie,

Welcome to Donationcoder! Thanks for stopping by and posting about your product - it does sound quite a bit different from the other products discussed in this thread so far... Worth a look!

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 05:49 PM »
Nice to see yet a software developer here :)

So, what kind of recovery does selkie do? All the automated file-share etc. is very nice, but does it just mount a NTFS partition and copy files, or can it do recovery of corrupted volumes etc.?
- carpe noctem

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 06:13 PM »
Heh, heh... Powell River, eh? We're practically neighbours, Selkie  :-*

Selkie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Selkie Rescue
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 06:44 PM »
Well thanks for being neighbourly  :D

Selkie is not limited to 'NTFS volumes' it (or SHE) supports FAT32 and earlier FAT file systems and most Linux and Unix partitions.

We've also set it up so that Selkie only deals with the data files in 'read only' form so she can't do any damage while she's rescuing your stuff.

On the downside, we can't do anything with corrupted volumes - this is because dealing with corrupted file systems requires that the end user be fairly technically-savvy, and we're actually trying to go for the typical computer or laptop user in a 'do-it-yourself' format.

We've had the occasional customer ask about corrupted or deleted files and we usually send them to their local technician, since what we've seen out there requires some technical know-how so that they don't fry their system even worse than it was when they began to try to 'fix' it.
make it count

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 07:17 PM »
And Curt, we've got a way you can get around the time limit for a few more hours (it's very sneaky!). Try this: http://www.bitsdujou...&secure=Tu24Se27

Welcome at DC, Selkie-man!

The "way" was too sneaky for me, I am afraid. After several 're-tryings' it is still standing on $99.99

- said curt (edit) dk
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 07:34 PM by Curt »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 07:38 PM »
Quite the cast of characters at Tugboat Enterprises - in some cases a trip down BC's political memory lane and in others a diverse assortment of tech gurus and US businesspeople backing and advising it.

Selkie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Selkie Rescue
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 07:41 PM »
*AHEM*

this Selkie is, in fact, not a man  :P

and yes, I think of us as the Island of Misfit Toys (gold star if you get the reference) - and just like in that story, it all works

I'm glad we found this forum - we'll keep an eye on things here and feel free to let us know if there's something we need to reply to!  8)
make it count

AHMalik

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 09:36 PM »
Why not try a Free but simple & efficient?
Restoration V3.2.13, Win 9x/NT/ME/2000/XP,
http://hccweb1.bai.ne.jp/~hcj58401/  (freeware)
English : Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin by mistake. Conversely, delete confidential documents completely. You don´t have to install it, so it doesn´t leave any garbage in the PC. (You can also run it from a floppy disk.) NTFS is supported from version 2.2.12.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 03:27 AM »
Why not try a Free but simple & efficient?

Why? Because:

... the big question inside my head is if the program will resque those files that were saved the normal way in Explorer (but are now untouchable because Explorer is crashing), or if it merely will save those files that have been deleted. To my (lack of) understanding, the programs you were telling about, will not offer to give me back all these "normal saved" files, will they? And: will Selkie?

- meaning that this thread is not about yet another "Recover your deleted files", free or not, but on the contrary it is about recovering your normal files which were never deleted but are unreachable to you because Windows / Explorer keeps crashing - and you had no backup.

That is the kind of program I am in the need of right now, and that is why I started this thread. But other than that, I am sure this Restoration  you are recommending is a fine piece of program, so: Thanks for telling anyway, AHMalik!  :up:

-----
*AHEM*

this Selkie is, in fact, not a man  :P

:-[  Sorry!
Guess Selkie was another dame  after all...

- but now you are extra welcome:-*
because we really have so few women among/amongst us!  :(
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 03:46 AM by Curt »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 04:39 AM »
Well thanks for being neighbourly  :D

Selkie is not limited to 'NTFS volumes' it (or SHE) supports FAT32 and earlier FAT file systems and most Linux and Unix partitions.

We've also set it up so that Selkie only deals with the data files in 'read only' form so she can't do any damage while she's rescuing your stuff.

On the downside, we can't do anything with corrupted volumes - this is because dealing with corrupted file systems requires that the end user be fairly technically-savvy, and we're actually trying to go for the typical computer or laptop user in a 'do-it-yourself' format.
So in other words, Selkie is simply a linux-based filecopier that will copy files off the filesystems the linux kernel supports?

Not a bad tool, but not really a recovery product either.
- carpe noctem

Selkie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Selkie Rescue
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 04:54 PM »
Ok you guys are *hilarious* and yes, there's four dames here using this account so that's got to count for something  8)

How are we almost neighbours Darwin if you're in Illinois? I have a feeling it's more like Vancouver - ? And don't give away our past secrets about the political arena if you are  ;)

As for Selkie Rescue, to clarify, Selkie does not require technical knowledge and is not a 'memory hog' like most linux-based file copiers (hello Knoppix!) which often crash failing computers. Often it's a Windows failure that's causing the crash, and Selkie deals with the failing software issues.  :Thmbsup:
make it count

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 05:28 PM »
Ah, Selkie-san... much closer than Vancouver as the crow flies, though you do have to journey across the water to get to where I am (but then, getting down the Sunshine Coast to Vancouver requires a water crossing or two anyway, doesn't it?).

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 09:35 PM »
Selkie: I just hope you don't get bitten by the "So, where's your repository of the GPL'ed code you use, and thus have to provide" - GPL is such an obnoxious beast for commercial software developers >_<
- carpe noctem

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2007, 04:45 AM »
Thanks a lot, you Selkies, for applying me with this extra chance to get Selkie at the promotion cut-down price. I bought it, but as I wrote in an earlier post, I will need to have my CD drive fixed or replaced, before I am able to actually USE Selkie for what she is worth, though.

Also [wink] Thanks, for not just making yet another "retrieve deleted files" application 
- they already go thirteen by the dozen...[/wink]

Selkie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Selkie Rescue
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2007, 11:05 AM »
You're welcome Curt - I told you we're friendly  :D

Also, with the GPL and LGPL we've got the prescribed proclamations in the necessary places  :tellme: and yes, I bet a lot of people get caught on that one.

I've been reading some of the other threads in this forum - very cool universe here.
make it count