topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Maxthon 2 Released  (Read 24340 times)

Mamoun

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Maxthon 2 Released
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 04:53 PM »
I'm confident that these issues will be resolved over time and comtent to bide my time.
Fingers crossed. :)
Thanks for your feedback BTW. :)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2007, 05:01 PM »
resources? Using about 3 megs on my system, dont know about yours.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2007, 07:27 PM »
I just opened up M2 with a blank page and it gobbled up 24 MB of RAM and 17 MB VM. However, Maxthon 1.6.1 uses 23 MB of RAM and 28 MB of VM! M2 starts with a single blank page, M1.6.1 with five pages from various sites (DC included). The big concern for me at the moment is the plug-in support, though. Looks like I'll need to eat crow on the resource use though... Thanks for that Josh (he mumbles through a mouthful of black, and not very clean, feathers), thank you very much!

PS I'm a bit concerned about your 3 megs vs. my 17... I'm on a 3 year old centrino notebook (single core) with a gig of PC2100 RAM running WinXP Pro Sp-2...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 07:28 PM »
Mamoun - thanks for all the effort that you put into the beta testing (If I am not mistaken, it was you that sent out the beta update notifications, no?). Anyway, welcome to DC - please visit more often!  :D

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2007, 02:43 AM »
thanks for the ui file, Mamoun.

regrettably, i have to say that it still doesn't work like the old maxthon layout i have. yes, the 'go' and 'back' buttons are in the center but it appears to be impossible to put anything alongside the top menu toolbar.

is that enough of an excuse for me to not use maxthon 2?

well, it does seem trivial so i will try using the new version - but like darwin i use RoboForm a lot so that might be the deal breaker for me.

i probably was just being a bit defeatist when i tried maxthon 2 but your encouragement has prompted me to try again...

Second Shadow

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2007, 07:34 AM »
I'm a long time user of Maxthon (and previously MyIE2  :)) and I've tried several Maxthon 2 betas a number of times. Unfortunately, I keep coming back to Maxthon 1.
My main complaints about Maxthon 2 (which I've posted in their forum) are:
- Resource usage (I've tested both with THE same tabs open and M2 undoubtedly uses more memory than M1)
- Tab-bar behavior. The ability to make the tab-bar multiline AND respectful of the minimum and maximum tab width set in Maxthon Options (or Control Center as it's now called) isn't there. Please see the following Maxthon forum thread :http://forum.maxthon....php?showtopic=63924 , for a detailed description of the (annoying) issue  :mad: :(

So, it's Maxthon 1.6 for me ....

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2007, 09:00 AM »
An update: after responding to Brandon (wreckedcarzz) here, I thought I'd take another crack at setting up M2 and discovered that I had a corrupt Groups import (I hadn't mentioned this but the fact that my groups wouldn't work in M2 was a major dealbreaker for me) and remedied that. Then I took a look at the plugins that I couldn't get to work and which were the other dealbreakers: Roboform, NetSnippets Pro and Evernote Pro. I tried a third party plugin for Roboform and hated it so uninstalled it. Then I unexpectedly hit upon the solution: the context menu! Roboform's toolbar can be displayed/hidden in any supported browser via the context menu! As for Evernote and NetSnippets, pages can be saved in the same way. Thus I can now do everything in M2 that I can do in M1.6.1. Pretty happy... Now, if only resource usage could be brought under better control (as I type this in M2 I have 7 tabs open, which is pretty standard and the process is consuming: 03-23% CPU, 70,008K RAM, and 55,680K VM. This is considerably higher than M1.6.1 under a similar "load", where the CPU is much more stable at around 0-1% and RAM and VM usage are in the 46MB and 55MB range respectively).

UPDATE: even saving a selection is possible with Evernote/NetSnippets - you just highlight the "bits" you want and right-click/save to Evernote (or NetSnippets). The result is actually a cleaner interface as opposed to NetSnippets toolbar (though I suppose I'll wind up missing the Add to Last option... C'est la vie. NetSnippets is no longer being developed anyway so its days are numbered.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 09:08 AM by Darwin »