topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Saturday April 27, 2024, 3:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to edit a titlebar from a dll?  (Read 5618 times)

caligula

• Participant
  • Joined in 2023
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How to edit a titlebar from a dll?
« on: October 22, 2023, 02:48 AM »
Hey, I was wondering how you can permanently edit a title bar from a dll? I know the dll in question, and have tried numerous ways of editing it on various peoples recommendations, but nothing has worked. Also googled some methods which was unsurprisingly useless. Tried visual studio (but of course it's not in IL, some other stuff that was never going to work, and a hex editor. I can find a great deal of things in the dll, but none of them are the title bar. Saw another post from 2012 on here, but i'm not convinced it would solve my problem. I don't want a script that changes it, rather a permanent alteration. I'm stumped. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

caligula

• Participant
  • Joined in 2023
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to edit a titlebar from a dll?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 03:12 AM »
I found how out how to find said text in the title bar. It's been changed. I used ildasm and opened it there. How would I go about making this back into a DLL? thanks!

caligula

• Participant
  • Joined in 2023
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 03:46 AM »
To clarify, I used ildasm to dump it, find the titlebar, change it, and now I cant make the dumped text document back into the dll. I saved it as a .dll but its completely different and 8x bigger. no idea whats wrong with it or how to reverse the dump? compiling maybe? not too sure what to call it, but making a dll that matches the original with the only difference being the title bar text ive altered

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2023, 05:57 AM »
Without the original source of the dll it is close to impossible to re-create the dll.
The only viable option of changing that title is to grab a hex editor, and change that title, with the restriction you have to keep the current length as the max. length, optionally filling with spaces or 0s at the end when the new title is shorter.

caligula

• Participant
  • Joined in 2023
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2023, 06:51 PM »
Thanks! So when I go to edit it, it warns me it'll change file size. Will this screw up the program? Sorry if these are all stupid questions I am extremely new to anything like this, and apparently an idiot. Really appreciate your response though <3

caligula

• Participant
  • Joined in 2023
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2023, 08:42 PM »
It's all finished and works perfectly. Thank you. <3

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2023, 03:19 PM »
Library Titlebar???
So I guess whatever app you are starting it uses a library as a container and maybe even create a Window-like application out of it but per se a Library does not have anything visual where you can modify a Caption.
Even that you already solved your problem the proper way would not to patch the binary, the proper way would be to write a small loader that patches the memory on the fly while app is running by doing a simple search for a Window and continue with other Api calls to modify the content in whatever way you like, possible is everything from a coders point of view.

kanesmith

• Participant
  • Joined in 2024
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 02:22 AM »
Permanently editing a title bar from a DLL is complex and depends heavily on the specific DLL and its structure. Hex editing may not suffice, and injecting code without recompiling risks instability. While 2012 methods might be outdated, consider a DLL hooking approach intercepting title change messages or resource modification via Win32 APIs. Remember, modifying commercial software might violate licenses, so tread carefully.