topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Share your tips and comforts for dealing with the stress and fear of a pandemic  (Read 35413 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A lot of free virtual tours available if you're trapped in an elevator or something, the list is courtesy of OzBargain:

Free Virtual Tours / Live Cams of Popular Museums / Zoos Around the World

Which was courtesy of HUKD.

Do some virtual traveling.

Katie

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  • Limit how often you check for news updates
  • Step away from media if you start feeling overwhelmed
  • Give time to your family and keep yourself busy in activities like playing computer games

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
My mom and others have recommended this full length play from the National Theatre Full, now available on youtube:

One Man, Two Guvnors with James Corden

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I watched One Man, Two Guvnors.. A mixed bag.. The humor wasn't exactly my style, and it starts off not so great, but something unexpected/unusual happens after the first 26 minutes or so and it makes it compelling to keep watching..

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ Thanks for the review mouser.

I spent half a day attempting to assemble one computer from two old ones. It took me so long because I dont have a clue what I'm doing -- I've never built a PC. But now I do have more of a clue. (Unfortunately it didnt work, but that didnt bother me too much as I really did learn a lot doing it...).

Will try and build something at some stage (with new parts), but also would now feel much more confident about changing something within a machine.
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Trick is you gotta remember to lick both sides of the memory module before snapping it into the motherboard, otherwise the current flow won't be fully primed and the buss width will be cut in half.. :D

...At least that's what I usually tell the new guys in IT to see if they're safe with hand tools - nobody has failed yet - but we had one that thought about it way to hard ... Yikes!.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You're EVIL!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You're EVIL!
John 8:11

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Never called him a sinner:P

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Trick is you gotta remember to lick both sides of the memory module before snapping it into the motherboard, otherwise the current flow won't be fully primed and the buss width will be cut in half..
So that's what I need to do now to stave off the boredom :-\ :P
Tom

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How to Cope With Anxiety About Coronavirus:
https://www.verywell...irus-anxiety-4798909

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Trick is you gotta remember to lick both sides of the memory module before snapping it into the motherboard, otherwise the current flow won't be fully primed and the buss width will be cut in half..
So that's what I need to do now to stave off the boredom :-\ :P

Dark humor, sarcasm, and a staunch refusal to take myself seriously have always helped me get through anything. So if my antics can make at least one person smile, then the world can be just a tad bit brighter at least for them … And I'm good with that.

@Wraith808: Yeah, maybe just a touch..  :D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The meme has new life!

PPAP COVID-19 Version.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Didn't know if anyone posted that all of Bob Ross's "Joy of Painting" episodes are available for free for now.

For those who need some respite from the craziness, this may help. As the House Beautiful article says: "Not to mention, listening to Bob Ross as he paints a picture is extremely therapeutic. If you’re highly anxious or just overall exhausted, his videos can offer you a calming effect that’s as reliable as a weighted blanket."

And that's absolutely true. Try a few and see. A link to the Bob Ross page is https://www.youtube....rt=dd&shelf_id=7

Here is the reference I found that mentions the offer:
https://www.housebea...rZZzm9_Rl-FzR729lBcw
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"... Via a mobile, tablet or PC, you can explore the Faroes’ rugged mountains, see close-up its cascading waterfalls and spot the traditional grass-roofed houses by interacting – live – with a local Faroese, who will act as your eyes and body on a virtual exploratory tour.

The local is equipped with a live video camera, allowing you to not only see views from an on-the-spot perspective, but also to control where and how they explore using a joypad to turn, walk, run or even jump!

Just like a real-life computer game, you – the main player – will control the moves of the Faroese islander, who will not only explore locations on foot, but also take to the skies by helicopter, giving virtual visitors a bird’s eye perspective on our beautiful island nation’s steep grassy slopes, our 80,000 sheep and our unspoilt, wild and natural countryside ...":
https://www.remote-tourism.com/

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"What does everyone think about having a super short 10 minute zoom meeting open to all donationcoder folks?
Just to say hello and put face and voice to forum nickname and do something weird?
We'll just all go around and say our names and say hello and then quickly sign off before we feel too nervous."

I have split this idea to it's own thread -- it will be happening for sure on May 2nd.
Discuss here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=49857.0

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If anyone is looking for a game they can play with a buddy remotely, over text or voice chat, I'd like to suggest my play-by-paper version of the awesome game Codenames Duet:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44471.0
[ Invalid Attachment ]

I agree this is awesome, once the instructions are understood. My daughter and I read the instructions, watched a video about the original box game, I was ready to give up but then it all clicked for my daughter and this is one of our games now.

We've played about 4 so far, haven't won yet but we've gotten 14/15 at least one time and we learn something each time.

It seems to me that this would be useful for language learning too since it supports Unicode and you have game books of multiple languages and you can use custom word lists. Down the road I may give that a try as well.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm so glad to hear that you are enjoying it!!

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A lot of kids love Harry Potter so this is for them:
"... Daniel Radcliffe reads the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone/Sorcerer’s Stone, as part of Harry Potter At Home ... Daniel will be the first of many exciting contributors to help us read through the first Harry Potter book, as he introduces the Dursleys, who don’t like anything mysterious. Enter a cat reading a map, owl-filled skies and whispers about the Potters ...::
https://www.wizardin...ng-the-boy-who-lived

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well I gotta say one thing if favor of Corona...It's made service at Staples freaking Awesome!! Usually you have to track one of these clown down like you're hunting for Bigfoot. But now you can't get 4 steps into the store before being accosted by someone wanting to help you find what your looking for (and leave..). It's just like the - years ago level - service they should of had in they $&^%# first place.

I'm loving it; need a mouse; back in 5 - 48 minutes? ...I made it in-and-out in 2 … Awesome!

:D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have updated and improved the instructions for my Codenames Play-on-paper game:
https://www.donation...enames-play-on-paper

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have updated and improved the instructions for my Codenames Play-on-paper game:
https://www.donation...enames-play-on-paper
Nice!