topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 11:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Menu for image site with over 20,000 images  (Read 3532 times)

fredemeister

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Menu for image site with over 20,000 images
« on: December 08, 2016, 06:54 PM »
I have them stored in folders as below:

Top: country
Child 1: state-province
Child 2: area

So far there are 34 "Country" folders, and some of these have up to 40 "State-Province" sub-folders, and some of those have 10-15 "Area" sub folders.

For example:

USA
  Arizona
      Grand Canyon
      Glen Canyon
      Lake Mead
      Navajo
      Petrified Forest
  Utah
      Monument Valley
      Bryce Canyon
      Canyonlands
      Arches National Park
      Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park
      Dead Horse Point State Park
      Escalante Petrified Forest State Park
      Goblin Valley State Park
      Green River State Park
      ... and about five more.

I've attempted to create a menu for this, but am bewildered on what sort of layout would cope with the large number of links.

My current attempt is a drop-down with countries listed across the top.  However, given the amount of links in each state this is becoming cumbersome, and looks terrible on a page. Also there would need to be at least three-lines of links.

I've also tried one page with all links on that page, as per example above.  That works well, but looks odd.

The above example of the USA is the largest collection of galleries, so the above example gives a fair idea of the problem.

(I also have a music section with over 1200 albums that I dealt with using a one page, alphabetical listing, with sub-pages for artists with more than one album.  That worked, but my wife asked if there was any way to reduce the number of clicks in getting to her music of choice.  So far I haven't thought of an answer, apart from "no".)

However, if that's what's necessary, I have the template ...

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here, but would really appreciate your comments.

If you this far, many thanks for your perseverance, and hopefully your suggestions.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Menu for image site with over 20,000 images
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 08:41 PM »
A site map or listings page is going to be the most practical. The pages can then have breadcrumbs on top: USA > UTAH > Canyonlands

fredemeister

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Menu for image site with over 20,000 images
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 09:15 PM »
A site map or listings page is going to be the most practical. The pages can then have breadcrumbs on top: USA > UTAH > Canyonlands

Yes, have already implemented that, many thanks.  :)