topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows Logger and Hung Process Monitoring  (Read 3347 times)

mat2016

• Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows Logger and Hung Process Monitoring
« on: January 23, 2016, 04:34 PM »
Last summer I developed an application to log time spent in Windows applications, thinking it would be handy to monitor where my kids are going on the internet, or if a manager at work believed one of his/her employees were not doing their assigned work. This application is call Windows Logger.

From my work on windows logging I noticed that Windows OS has one function that determines whether a Window associated with a process is hung or frozen. We were having staff at work complain about slowness on both PCs and Virtual Desktops, so I decided to split this function off onto an application called Process Monitor.

In order to receive email notifications I used a freeware program called File Alert Monitor to watch folders on our network where these applications keep their log files. File Alert Monitor gave me a visual notification of a PC having performance issues. The last step was to create Email Alerter which sent me an email whenever a File Alert window popped up.

With all of this, I can tell if certain PCs are encountering a lot of hung processes and contact the users.

If anyone is interested in these applications, I will post them. I have attached the two PDF help documents.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 05:03 PM by mat2016 »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows Logger and Hung Process Monitoring
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 04:15 AM »
You might want to rename your Process Monitor tool, as there is already for many years a Sysinternals tool by that same name.

I'd be interested to try these tools, just to see if I have a use for them. Though I don't have any processes 'hanging' on my systems, afaics. Maybe these tools tell me otherwise ;D

What development environment (language, ide, etc.) are they developed in?

mat2016

• Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows Logger and Hung Process Monitoring
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 07:44 AM »
Ath,

Those apps are written in AutoIT. The Windows API function that determines whether a process is 'hung' is called IsHungWindowApp. LOL  It's probably more politically correct to say 'frozen' or 'unresponsive' these days.

The program name is no problem to change, I had noticed also other apps with the same or similar names. Since I'm new to this forum, I didn't pay attention that my two user guides in PDF format didn't attach. I will put them into a ZIP file and update the original post.

They will give you more detailed information.